Re: TB5 proposal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat J said:
I had a teacher who use to assign long-term projects, and each month, he would ask members in the class about their progress.
Inevitably, he would get to me, and I would sheepishly have to admit I had not started on the project.

Finally, he made the statement that has stuck with me, although I still tend to procrastinate the same way.

He said "Does anyone know what the best way to finish a project is?...........To START the project."

That is the hardest part for me is to get started.

Fortunately, this isn't school or I would be in trouble. ;D My issue isn't getting started as it is having time. If we are in a major rush, I can step down from this build and let someone who has more time than me in.

Eric

Only speaking for myself, but I have plenty of other projects on the go and I'm not in a hurry. As long a everyone is committed and all the parts are assigned, I'm a happy camper.

At the moment I'm waiting on some tooling, but I should have that in a few days and will be doing the conrod parts.

Eric-

I would hope we could wrap it up in no more than 6 weeks from today. Beyond that, I would think we are going to loose momentum if we string it out too long.

I still have plenty to do for sure, so I think you have plenty of time.

I am looking at taking a few days off from work some time in Feb. I will be starting on my parts soon. The days off will allow me to finish up ;D

Eric

Here's my prototype conrod. I made it to check out the operations I need to do and make sure I get it right when I make the "production" run.

conrod-small.jpg

If my new parting tool holder turns up by Friday, I'll be making these for real on the weekend.

Finally finished drilling holes tonight.
30-1" holes through 1/2" plate. :p

I made a jig held in the vice in the mill to round off the outer bearing supports.
Not rigid enough, and I munched an outer bearing support, but did not damage the bit.

I changed to a bolt mounted in the 8" 3-jaw chuck mounted on the rotary table.
That worked like a charm. Much more rigid. You really don't want to try and round off 1/2" plate with something not rigid.

Below are the frames with all holes drilled.
Now on to the final metal band sawing of these frames, and they will be close to done except for the ports and passages.

Frame-Holes-01.jpg

Ken and Pat,

Looks like your parts are coming along nicely.

I was going to order some parkerizing concentrate for the steel parts, but I was reading that it is real temperature sensitive. I'm worried about it freezing while its shipped.

Matt

I broke my mill (see the TB4 thread)... Hope to find out the cause and get it fixed soon. I did schedule a few days off form work this month to work on this build.

Very good. What is the threading on the frame? Have you done that yet on the build?

Eric

The hole in the frame for the exhaust pipe is a tap drill "Q" (0.3320"), and has been drilled but not taped.
The tap for this hole is a 1/8-NPT-27, which appears to match the treads found on some standard brass fittings.
I will have to check the thread on the end of the exhaust pipe, but it is a straight thread.

Exhaust parts photo.
The elbow looks like some kind of store-bought brass fitting.

The pipe is hand made.

The pipe has a 24 TPI straight thread on it, and the threaded part measures 0.368" in diameter.

Exhaust-01.jpg

Exhaust-02.jpg

TB5 - Resurrected-

I am still working on TB5, trying to pull this one off.
Maybe we can Heimlich this one back to life. :p

Here are photos from yesterday and today:

Pistons-21.jpg

Rings-TB5-01.jpg

Rings-TB5-02.jpg

Lagging-21.jpg

Latest posts

Back