Re: TB5 proposal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JorgensenSteam

How about building this one?
It is pretty simple.
I have about 1/2 of it drawn in CAD, and could finish it up quickly.

Hey Pat I agree with Tin, if you get those drawings done, I'd be willing to jump on that hand grenade with you as a part of that build (TB5?) if the total number of finished engines were kept to a minimum like here on the TB4. (5-6) If not, then Tin, you can deal me in on TB4 as the last man out.

BC1
Jim

Pat, I like the looks of the engine you are drawing the plans for, if you go for a team build on it, I'm in

Randel

I split off this for you.
Looks like you are the captain of TB 5 .
Have fun, looks like you need two more builders . I can probably do a set of parts if needed . Will be here to support you with organizing and advising whether or not I do any parts.
Remember this is for fun and mutual support to obtain the set goals.
Tin

Let me know if I can help. Either by building or assisting you run the team.

Eric

Pat this is your baby. But . may I suggest you think about scaling it down a bit . 3/4 scale will reduce total mass and theoretically cost to 42% of the original (3/4)^3 = 27/64 =0.421.... so should reduce the cost to the $30-35 range.
shipping cost will be reduced as well.
Tin

Looks simple enough I could participate. Put me on the list. I like the original scale but don't care what scale we build. I would like to do the flywheels and maybe add a little bling to them with holes or spokes on my mill.

Matt

I probably shouldn'd make the wood base or the spring. I am open to any other parts. I do agree that making it smaller might be a good challenge.

Randel

Say Pat, I have a selection of hardwoods that have been sawn and rough sized in the shop that I have had for many, MANY years. Most of it belonged to my Grandfather that made violins. My Father collected some of it as trade for work. I have Walnut, Cherry, Oak and some Hard Maple, even some pieces of Catalpa. I'd like to donate some of this towards the making of the bases if that is acceptable.
If I may suggest, we do this model in 1/2 scale, (2" flywheel). That is a good size to work with and isn't too large for some of the smaller machines capacities, although I wouldn't mind the full scale. AFA which part(s) to make, let me check out my metal drawer to see what sizes of what I have available and I'll let you know for certain, the frame and the cylinder looks to be the most 'difficult' of the lot at this time. I'd really like to have a hard look at your prepared drawings before deciding what to do.

I'd like to encourage all of those lurking about in the shadows to join in here. These team builds are a perfect opportunity to get the guidance and instruction to overcome ones doubts and fears when it comes to machining parts. I like the idea of these kinds of builds as it allows a person to make one or two pieces and make them well due to having to make several of them in succession. (learning from the difficulties encountered in making the previous one and improving on the next one in the series) It also has the added feature of having other team members to rely upon for assistance/guidance if any questions arise during the course of the build. This vital bit should bring out those that are willing to ask questions without fear of being ridiculed. This doesn't really happen here on HMEM but still the 'fear factor' is still present and by having smaller groups that fear should be greatly reduced.

C'mon and join us for the adventure, it'll be a fun ride.

BC1
Jim

Friday I ordered 4" rd 6061 from Speedy metals because they had a fire sale on 4" long pieces for $12. I needed one for and up coming Halo build, but as usual I ordered 3. So thats enough for the 5 to 7 flywheels we need for only $3 a piece.

Is that ok?

Matt

I have access to brass, aluminum and steel in the sizes needed.

I also have a reasonably large supply of socket head hardware (black) could put kits together.

Randel

I will have to check but I believe I can put my hands on enough aluminum to do either the frames, the cylinders or both if need be, but it will take a few days to find out.

I take it those are bronze bearings in the frame?

Randel

Basically all parts would fit in a flat rate envelope, and that is $4.90. We would all be send the same amount of packages. So we can figure about $25 per person for the shipping.

If your parts are small enough to fit in a standard envelope, it may be less $ determined by the weight.

Matt

I will make the fly wheels from what ever material you guys would like. It really doesn't matter to me, so you guys go a head and vote. I don't want to make one if its going to be tossed aside anyway. Better yet, let me know who wants what. The motions will be the same. I also have Two 1" x 4" 12L14 disc's laying here also.

Let me know
Matt

Pat J said:
If it makes sense, everyone can ship everything to me, and I will separate into (5) packages (+Ken) and ship out.

Would that make it easier?
Then you would only have to ship one box of parts to one person.
Just a thought.

Pat J

Pat,

That makes sense, cause I ship you a flatrate box with my parts for everyone in for $6. Included with my parts is a 6 dollar bill that you will use to return ship the rest of the parts for me when there all done. So for $12 total shipping we all have an engine. It will save us 50% of shipping parts individually to each other.

Matt

I can get the cast iron for the cylinder heads. No problem there.

I am fine making 8 parts as well. I wouldn't go far beyond that point...

What is our time line?

Eric

Pat J said:
I would propose finishing up in no longer than 4 weeks.
Some of the members have a slow time about now at work, so this would be good to take advantage of this opportunity before work gets busy.

Pat J

I would at least triple that time. We are just the opposite and are busy right now. Plus I have to order the cast iron.

I don't have access to the metal for the frames and may not get it til after the first of the year. my shop is down until the snow clears and I can assess the damage from tree limbs/water intrusion. I may have to back out of this build and try to get in on one in the spring. Even then when combined with working full time, 4 weeks is a short window, I get 1/2 day/week shop time max this time of year

R

Latest posts

Back