Re: TB5 proposal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don-

I pulled the drawing off because I had to make some changes to some of the dimensions. I need to go through the drawings again and make sure all the numbers add up correctly.
I will try and get the revised drawings in the download section tomorrow.

I completed the assembly of Woodguy's engine tonight, and everything looks good.

I have to trim the lagging to exact size, and I think that will be it for the first engine completed.
I will send it off to Ken this coming week, and he can try the first run.

I will get Matt's, Chuck's and Mike's done soon, and TB5 will be a wrap.

Pat J

RIMG_6934.jpg

BigOnSteam said:
Don-

I pulled the drawing off because I had to make some changes to some of the dimensions. I need to go through the drawings again and make sure all the numbers add up correctly.
I will try and get the revised drawings in the download section tomorrow.
I will get Matt's, Chuck's and Mike's done soon, and TB5 will be a wrap.

Pat J

Thanks Pat. I'll be watching for it.

Cheers :)

Don

DTanner-

This is an oscillating steam engine that my Dad originally designed and built a few years ago. I call it his "No.21".

These drawings are new, so please check all of the dimensions.
Also, note that I can do CAD and many other things, but am not the machinist that you see on many of these great posts, so use common sense and good machining judgement if you use these drawings.

I will not be able to do another team build, but don't let that stop you from making one of these engines.

I like this engine because it looks good (in my humble opinion), and is a nice size, but not too large.

Don-

I tried uploading the drawings to this site, but I keep getting a "timeout or file too large" error. I will put them at the location shown below, and if someone from HMEM can get them uploaded here, then they are welcome to do that.

TB5 final drawings are here:
http://www.classicsteamengineering.com/index.php?topic=389.msg1598;topicseen#msg1598

Here is a photo of Bob J's original No.21:

rIMG_3157.jpg

Well here it is. I apologize for the hasty presentation but I wanted to get this post up before I head off to the UK on a boat buying expedition and time is short just now. I decided on the paint scheme based on what was in the cupboard but I think it has worked out fairly well. The base is temporary - I have in mind something made from a nice piece of claro walnut that is lurking on the rack.

Not having time to turn up an intake fitting, I just clamped the base to my saw table, hooked up air to the exhaust and off she went. It's not run in yet, but it runs a treat all the same. Thanks to Pat for the drawings and the idea. Bob J certainly got this one right.

The short proof of life video is here. I will post another when I get back from the UK.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Reo0I_tGFs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Image1-s.jpg

Image2-s.jpg

Image3-s.jpg

Image4-s.jpg

Good job Woodguy. Looks like it runs great.

I am wrapping up the remaining engines, and will have those sent out soon.

Pat J

Hey Chuck-

I am still hanging in on TB5.
I have had some issues that I have had to deal with recently that have delayed me, but I have been able to get back on TB5 in the last few days, and have worked on it consistly for the last few days.

I find it is best to work on a build a hour or so each day, so you don't get burnt out.

All of the cylinders will be complete today.
The frames have the passages drilled and tapped, and the ports and shafts laid out and punched.
I still have a little more silver soldering to do, need to pick up another oxygen tank, I am out.

After that, it is just a little piston work, and it will be a wrap.
I don't have anything coming up on my schedule, so I will keep at it till its done.

Pat J

Silver soldered some frames tonight, more frame silver soldering tomorrow.
Making progress.

Pat J

More progress today, fitting heads to cylinders.
If I can stay on the build for another week or so, I should have them all done.

Sounds like progress to me Pat. I've got a few more summer projects to do and maybe
a new team build so no hurry on my part.

Regards,
Mike

All the cylinders are complete.
Still drilling and milling frames.

Still working on the frames, but continuing like the Energizer Bunny.
Seems like this build is going on forever, but life keeps getting in the way.

Will be working on TB5 all this coming week.

Pat J

TB5 has been delayed this year for a number of reasons, but I am going to get back into it, and started tonight trying to remember what I did so far on the project.

When TB5 began, I had just started using 3D modeling, and I was pretty clueless about how to use it. Having used it for some notable design work since then, I have found that it is an excellent way to virtually machine an engine without having to actually cut metal, and a good way to practice (or remember) all the steps in building an engine. I wonder now how I ever use to get designs done in 2D (the answer is slowly and not very well).

Anyway, here are the 3D parts that I made tonight.
I will finish the other 3D parts tomorrow, assemble the engine in 3D and run it to look for interferences.

I have all the parts laid out and sorted on a table in the shop, so I should be ready to start on TB5 again tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay.

Pat J

TB5-01.jpg

TB5-02.jpg

TB5-03.jpg

TB5-04.jpg

I made a spreadsheet of the machining steps required for each part, and am checking those off as I go, to figure out what is left to do.

I made some more 3D parts today, not quite done with that.

Pat J

Crank-Disk-01.jpg

Crank-Disk-02.jpg

Base-01.jpg

Base-02.jpg

Latest posts

Back