Re: TB5 proposal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I hate to tell everyone, but I am a beginner machinist, and I got into this team build thing to learn how to machine, so you guys will get what you get, but I did do my very best.

I have gone to great lengths to learn and do it right, and have had to relegate one engine to the scrap heap so far (it will make a nice static display), but I will get the others right.

The second engine has been machined with great care, and the assembly went together much better, and appears to rotate with no probems at all other than the fact that it is tight and needs to wear in. I wanted things slighly on the tight side so that after break-in, it should be just right.

Of the many things I have learned on this team build, you cannot rush a machining job, errors propogate and get magnified by the movement of the parts, and an error of one thousanths of an inch can become like the Grand Canyon on the other side of a part if you are not really careful.

I have had to learn how to work at a whole new level of detail, and take it slow, and think everything through. I have heard others mention getting a good surface for a starting point, and very carefully working out from that surface.
I can now say from experience that you have to be extremely meticulous with every single step, and it is very difficult to machine your way out of problems cause by lack of concentration and lack of attention to details.

Machining is not for the impatient types.

I have been very pleased with the level of work I have seen from all the team members so far, and I can say I have had to work hard to keep up with the standard of quality these guys are setting
I have learned a tremendous amount this year alone.

My goal for this team build was to advance from a beginner to an intermediate level machinist, and I can say for myself and for this purpose, this team build has been a resounding success. I have mastered a large number of good engine building techiniques on this build, and those techniques can be used from this point forward to construct a much more complex engine.

Machining is a lot more fun and a whole lot faster when you can choose from a large list of tried, proven, and previously mastered techniques.
Thanks to all who have the patience and kindness to share their knowledge on this forum and guide folks like myself who are struggling along and trying to learn.

On average, I fail at the first two attempts at making any first time part, and get the third attempt right.
Occasionally, I have needed four or five attempts at a part.
Unfortunately, I have to do my machining when I can find the time, which is usually late at night and when I am not exactly in a fresh state of mind.

Someone asked me the other day how the team build was going, and I responded "Fine, but all those trivial matters keep getting in my way and delaying the effort.".
"What trivial matters are causing you problems?" they said. "Oh you know, eating, sleeping, unimportant things like that" I said.

Here are Chuck's parts. I think they look terrific. Well done Chuck.

Pat J

rIMG_4511.jpg

Chuck- The parts look great. Looks like you made me tail end charlie.

Pat- Hows that ground taste?

Now on to serious business. I'm on the home stretch on these heads and all that's left is to bore
to the tap drill size, tap and chamfer. I may have to modify my tap to get the threads deep
enough. Hopefully I'll get them shipped monday.

Dirt is pretty good, but better with a little catsup or mustard.

I guess I will be the last hold out.

I have to assemble the various parts to make sure they will fit and screw together.

I will wait to get the heads before I drill the holes in the cylinders for the head bolts.

I still have some work to do, but I will get moving on it again.
I think with the parts in hand, the fitting will go somewhat quickly.

Pat J

I received Mike's parts this afternoon.

Boy is this guy good. Each part in an individual plastic package, and the cast iron parts all oiled.

I am not sure what the stuff is that smells like shoe polish, or what the reams are for.

I will get some photos up tonight, and check to see if the parts from the various team members fit together. I tried one of Chuck's gland nuts in Mike's lower cylinder head, and the fit was perfect, so I have high hopes.

Photos at 10:00.

Pat J

Ok, here are some photos of Mikes parts.
I am going to have to work really hard to keep up with the quality level you guys work to.

I put Chuck's gland nut on Mike's head, and it looks great (and fits too!).

I will try and do a little assembly with the various parts tomorrow and get more photos.

I must say it is looking very good for TB5.
I will have to get busy now and finish up my parts.

Great job Mike, very impressive work.
(And thanks for the tool wrap, reamers, etc., I will distribute. What is the shoe polish smelling stuff? I should probably know that.)

Pat J

rIMG_4524.jpg

rIMG_4525.jpg

Pat,
Glad you liked the parts. Your frames are looking good and will show up quite well against the rest of the parts.
I received some steel parts from a customer that needed modified, these were likely sitting
on his shelf for a while and were a bit rusty. I must have had them in mind when I sprayed penetrating oil on the heads,
that's what the smell was. Sorry about that. Anyway let me know if I can help on any thing else and I look forward
to seeing the engines.
Mike

I had to clean out a space in my shop, which is a garage still half full of garage stuff.
I set up a table, and have started laying out some of the parts.

This is just some of the parts, I have other parts in various boxes that I will bring downstairs tommorrow, and begin the big sort out/fit up/assembly.

At least I was able to make some modest progress towards final assembly tonight.
Lots going on right now, but I will work on this a little every night so I can get it done.

Pat J

Edit: Two engines are shown partially assembled in the first photo below. The first one on the left turned up not having square enough surfaces, and so it will probably be a static display, although I may be able to patch it up with some work.

All the remaining frames were carefully milled on all sides, and working from one surface carefully to get all the other surfaces parallel/perpendicular/square. I also very carefully reamed the crank bearings with the frame square in the mill, and the ream in the chuck in the mill, and that got the crank lined up correctly with the frame and cylinder, and perpendicular to the cylinder/port face.

The second frame shown on the right is with a milled frame, Chuck's crankshaft, crank pin, and gland nut, Ken's rod and rod end, and Mike's heads, and when I matched those up with Matt's flywheel, everything appeared to be dead on, with no wobble or misalignment apparent anywhere, so now it is must a matter of finishing the frame work, and assembling the remaining engines to make sure everything fits.

TB5-Sort-01.jpg

TB5-Sort-02.jpg

Looking great Pat. Can't wait to put one together.

That's some very nice looking work there Pat. I'm already picking out a color. By the way, I counted 8 cylinders and frames.
In addition to the 7 sets of heads I sent you, I have 1 more set here. So if your so inclined, you could build another engine for
sale, display or a gift. Maybe the Smithsonian, I heard they have some nice stuff there.

Thanks Mike-

I am not sure the Smithsonian is quite ready for my work, but we can always wish for things I guess.

The allocation as of today is as follows:

1-Ken
2-Matt
3-Pat
4-Chuck
5-Mike
6-HMEM Auction
7-Rick (for the work he does for this forum)

I actually cut out 10 cylinders, frames, pistons and lagging, since I knew I would botch at least one, maybe more.
So far, the only botch has been the first frame and cylinder, and I think I can salvage it (I won't send that one out).

It is much easier to make a few extras while you have the setup, and then if something slips during the last machining operation, you have some backup parts.

Pat J

I have not been able to make much progress on TB5, but have not forgotten about it.
I have a "to-do" list for the project, and a plan of action, I just need to get to it and get it done.

My appologies for the delay.

Pat J

The River has been a distraction, I have been down there several times in the last week taking photos.
I hate to miss out on a near 100 year flood.
The record was set in 1937 at 48.7 feet, and we are at 48 feet.

It is quite an impressive site to see the towboats gliding by with their hulls at eye level, and the pilot house towering several stories above street level.

The good news is that the floodwalls and levees that were installed in 1937 are working beautifully (so far), and although some 15,000 houses have been flooded, without those floodwalls we could have had perhaps something on the order of magnitude of 500,000 homes or more flooded.

Pat J

rImg_5196.jpg

Still here.
I will send out parts no later than the end of this month.

Pat J

Gentlemen and/or Ladies,

What ind of engine are you making. I tired to find the original post but was unsucessful. I would also like to be pat of your next TB when you gt to it.

TY
;D

Gentleman

Does anyone have a copy of the drawing for this engine that can be posted here or a link to it? It seems as though the original was removed for whatever reason. We have many new members that are trying to follow along with this build and lack of a drawing makes it very difficult. If anyone can help out with this request it would be much appreciated. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Latest posts

Back