radial 5 cyl

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cfellows said:
Really nice work, Tony. How are the brass valve cages held in place. Are they just pressed in?

Chuck

yes
with the warm head
and to put a drop LOCTITE 648
is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts

:bow:

IM003644.JPG

IM003647.JPG

IM003585.JPG

tonyengines,

Very nice....well done. I hope you can put a movie up, I would love to see aand hear it run. Them the th_rulze woohoo1

Good job

Philly

Looks good tony,

Is the running video coming soon?

very beautiful engine Tony, but there is something in it that I don't understand

is the aluminium painted? or treated in some way?
everything is so perfect that it doesn't look like an home made engine
but this is only my feeling, I don't want to offend you in any way Tony, or doubt that you built it
rather take it as a compliment, your engine is so very well done that it looks like a production engine
great job :bow: :bow: :bow:

ariz said:
is the aluminium painted? or treated in some way?

If I had to guess I think he blasted it with glass beads or walnut media.

Hello,

I see the Edwards radial 5 calls for alot of parts to be machined of 7075 instead of the 6061. Do these sort of engines require more strength than the 6061 can provided, or is it because 7075 is sometimes referred to as aircraft aluminium? I see alot of engines being built here using 6061, seems to be strong enough?

Matt

The extra strength doesnt hurt, for sure. The Edwards was designed to be a workhorse and flown, so its probably a good idea to use the best material available for the job. That piece of 4" 7075 spec'ed out for the case runs close to $100 last time I checked, so for those of us who dont live near the old Boeing surplus sales, we wonder what we can use instead. I dont intend on building the Edwards until I can cast the main casing.

A 4" x 2" piece of 7075 from Speedy Metals is $30.80 and 6061 is $12.30.
If you make a casting, would you melt down 7075?

Matt

1hand said:
A 4" x 2" piece of 7075 from Speedy Metals is $30.80 and 6061 is $12.30.
If you make a casting, would you melt down 7075?

Matt
No, a casting alloy is more like 356. If you want the metal to cast correctly you dont get too far removed from that alloy. I generally only recycle other cast alloys for that reason.

Dont forget you need an allowance to square up the case as well as the front cover, etc. If you plan on flying or making power with the engine go for the good stuff, if its just going to be a trailer queen and make noise while looking pretty you can likely get away with 6061.

Latest posts

Back