Quick end mill question...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportandmiah

Reaction score
Endmills with flat spots on shank: that's for End Mill Holders, right?
If so, can I also use these endmills with a Collett? I'm assuming they can be used with either the collet or end mill holder.

You are correct, but if you are going to use an end mill with a flat on it in a collet don't hold on the flat always make sure you are clamping on a part of the end mill that is completely round slide the end mill up in the collet as close the the flutes as possable and you are good to go.

Dave

Just be aware of the possibility of the end mill being "sucked" out of the collet during heavy cuts. The flute angle wants to "crew" into the material.

Milling with the side is particularly bad.

Do not mean to scare you, just be aware of the cutting forces direction.

Mauro

I've never had a problem with an end mill coming out of a collet...but I've got good collets (Hardinge), which may make a difference. Collets that are part of "a complete set of 16 collets for $3.99!" might be another story.

I have had end mills creep out of a collet maybe 2 or 3 times in 25 years, it's occasionally annoying, just make sure the collet drawbar is pulled up tight and you won't have much trouble.

Latest posts

Back