Quick dumb question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jixxerbill

Reaction score
I have been contemplating getting a set of 3c collets for my 3-n-1 machine. But i was wondering will they squeeze down any at all from what size they are made for? for instance will a .125 collet go any smaller? I just cant imagine have to buy a collet for each drill bit i have in my a-z, 1-60 and 1/16 to 1/2 by 64 ths... Thanks in advance...Bill

Yes, they will 'squeeze' down. The maximum compression is usually given in the specs but typically they will compress to at least the next size down so you can cover all sizes.

AHHHH ok.... so if i get a set in 16 ths the 3/16 will squeze down to where the 1/8 takes over !! that is great news...Thanks a bunch

I believe that the 3C collets are designed for the size stated only. Any variation, and the piece being held is not properly secured, it will be virtually held by a point. They are different to the ER series of collets that do collapse down. Google 3C collets to read more about them.

By the way, there are no dumb questions, just things that you are not aware of yet.

Paul.

Boy you have the "not aware of yet" correct !!! I need to get more percision, my 3 in 1 machine is more like make 3 to get 1 good one!! You can actually see the 3 jaw chuck jaws jump up and down while spinning !! I use a 1/2 in drill chuck in the mill, it does ok but i thought i could use the collets to give me more room under the mill and a little better accuracy.... The lathe has a mt on it but its a 4 and the mill is 3 so i would have to purchase 2 sets of collets !!! Thinking of 4 jaw chuck for the lathe now, i might have to fight it to get things true but have more uses for it over the collets...Just get collets for the mill.... If i cant get more accuracy ill give up till i can get a better lathe or find a way to fix this one..Oh yeah when i centered the tail stock I got it centered good but my dial goes up .015 when i go across the top!!! lol People told me to not get a 3 in 1 one but NOOOOOOOOOO! I had to have it ...Live and learn i guess....Bill

Why don't you look at getting a set of ER32's, an MT3 collet chuck and a 4MT to 3MT adapter? That will give you the flexibility to use them in the mill , tailstock and headstock. YStool on eBay and CTC tools in Hong Kong should be able to sort this out for about $100, maybe a bit more.

It sounds like there is really something wrong with your machine. My 3 in 1 was always spot on. It could be a loose spindle bearing that simply needs tightening up by adjusting the preload. I replaced the bearings on my 3-in-1 after the one on the pulley went. I have since upgraded to separate machines but on another forum I was advised

If you go to the Grizzly website and download the G4791 manual, it has two pages of preloading the lathe bearing. If you can't get the proper specs and procedure for your specific machine you might want to review this as it appears to be similar in design.

More info on my rebuild expereince here http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=94689

I followed the Grizzly manual referred to in the quote above and it worked well.

I am teaching a friend how to use his lathe, it's new, but a small size. Now I know what people are talking about when they buy a small lathe and say they have to rebuild them. The lead screw is forcing the whole saddle up and down, so making screw cutting impossible, has about .006 gap under the saddle ways, needs to have some surface ground off to a closer tolerance.

Bill, you may have to rebuild your tailstock the same way.

Paul.

Paul.

AHHHH ok.... so if i get a set in 16 ths the 3/16 will squeze down to where the 1/8 takes over !! that is great news...Thanks a bunch

if your collets are by 64ths you should be fine , 32nds maybe but pushing it .1/16 ths, no too much.
Tin

Yup, Tin's right - even a 1/32 is marginal, and the smaller the collet bore, the less they like to pull down...

What is useful, and cheap, is a set of soft collets - a real life saver for odd shapes and sizes.

er16 , er32, er40, and similar will go +/- .015 so 1/32 is fine for those. they are double angle parallel closing collets and have much smaller segments making them more flexible and allows them to conform to a smaller radius rather than having just 3 contact points., other double angle collets may go smaller by a similar amount but may or may not go bigger. i'm not really sure of too many other parallel closing collets and the recomended size range.

3c, 5c r8 and similar are designed for one size within just a few thou. for in between sizes you will need so get soft collets and bore them to fit. compressing single angle collets to fit smaller parts will distort the collet and you will have minimal holding area. it will also distort thin walled material.

i used to work in a factory that made pump seals and other products out of carbon materials similar to graphite but much much harder. we used collets to have full diameter work holding (though full contact jaws on a chuck would have been better, but who listens to me?...) every setup required cutting a soft collet to the part or stock diameter for concentricity and if you cut the diameter smaller than the piece that would fit in it, even if the collet would accept the part when open the parts would slip and you'd get tri-lobal parts that would appear round with a mic but would reveal the out of roundness when measured with an indicator on a v-block. (google or youtube "solids of constant width" to understand this). basically the goal was to exactly match the diameter or .001 under to account for compression when you cut the collet closed. metal is more forgiving than carbon though but i'd try to keep it within .005 when you can...

Apologies if my answer was misleading. I was assuming a full set of collets in 1/32nds.

With my own set of 1/32nd ER32s, I've never had a problem finding a suitable size. My set specifies .040" compression, which is 1/25", so there should be some overlap between all adjacent 1/32" sizes.

Apologies if my answer was misleading. I was assuming a full set of collets in 1/32nds.

With my own set of 1/32nd ER32s, I've never had a problem finding a suitable size. My set specifies .040" compression, which is 1/25", so there should be some overlap between all adjacent 1/32" sizes.

Thanks Andy... I read the same thing about the .039 squeeze down... I got mine in and used them some tonight, WOW much better !!! I put my dial on a piece of drill rod it read .0005 (guessing) my dial is .001.. I bought the collet set and a MT4and a Mt3 holder now i just need to find a 4 jaw chuck... Thanks very much for all the help and yes im a believer in er collet sets!!! ..Bill

While on the subject of collets,I have been using ER collets for a while now and although they cater for a small variation in size they will not grip short pieces as they collapse at the back,very annoying.i have tried putting a small piece of the same size in the back but not very practical
Don

In this months Home shop machinist. there is an article on collet by Randolph Bulgin . or you can buy his books www.randolphsmachineshop.com.
the point is his idea of a full set of collets is like drill bits. 107 plus different sizes.
Tin

Latest posts

Back