Question re. valve 90 degrees to cylinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Last week I seen a horizontal mill type engine on here somewhere (Can't find it now) where the valve piston ran at 90 degrees to the power cylinder, and was operated by push rods running from the eccentric running though a bell crank.--It looked like the valve piston ran in the cylinder head. I would like to know more about this. I really like the size and design of the Hit and Miss engine I built ala Chuck Fellows, and would like to build another with the same basic body, crank, flywheel and cylinder design, but add a modified cylinder head and an eccentric to get more efficient valving.---Brian

Yes, Vernon---thats the one, and thank you very much. I think that "Chucks Single" is capable of a lot more power if it had a conventional valving set-up on it, and I wanted to see exactly how that valving was accomplished.---Brian
Okay---Having studied the valving a bit on McCabes Runner, I think tomorrow I will design an alternate cylinder head for my Chucks Single and see about adding an eccentric to it.

Valve at 90° to piston travel - like this?

sow#1.jpg

valve gear end.jpg

Latest posts

Back