Question on Paddle Duck part

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalee

Reaction score
Hi,

Since winter is coming, I'm getting back to my Paddle Duck build. I'm using this to learn about model engines and to learn 3D modeling and design.

I'm wondering why the packing glands are a two piece design. Could they be a single piece? Rather than threading and then screwing them together?

My rookie 3D rendering
wnUlsdj.png

Dale

The packing gland consists of two parts, the gland or bushing, whatever you choose to call it and the packing nut. The gland is usually held to the cylinder or steam chest by 2 studs, I guess it could have 3. It fits into a bored or reamed hole so it has a good sliding fit. Screwed into the gland is a packing nut which has a slightly larger through hole to allow for any misalignment of the gland and nut threads. The threaded end has an internal chamfer so that when the nut is tightened it will compress the packing material to seal the shaft going through it. There are different variations of this setup but this explanation is the basics of why it's made from 2 pieces..
gbritnell

Hi,

Ok, that makes sense. It allows adjustable sealing of the cylinder rod.

Dale

Back