QC dial indicator holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
I bumped into these pics of a little project I finished a while back and thought someone might find it useful.

I think I saw this device on John Moran's site and wanted one but didn't want to mess with a dovetail cutter. I used some aluminum scraps I had on hand and clamped a piece up in a vise at the appropriate angle on my newly completed Ishimura tilting angle table.

DovetailCut.jpg

I then drilled & tapped the pieces and screwed them together, spaced so that it'd slide onto the QCTP and clamp up nicely. Some old inkjet printer 3/8" shafting and a bit of 1/2" square CRS drilled & reamed to fit completed the project.

/
DovetailParts.jpg

DovetailInd1.jpg

I later added some more bits & pieces to allow a 0 - 1" D.I. to mount up as well as the original D.T.I.

di2.jpg

di1.jpg

It's so nice not having to fiddle with a magnet base when dialing in a part in the 4-jaw!

That is a very neat job. It sure would beat a magnetic setup. Looks like a good winter project to me.

Hmmmm, That saddle seem to look awfully familiar to me,,,maybe an EMCO V10???

Julian G.

Great idea. This is in the "to be made" que. That looks to be very handy for dialing in the four jaw as well as checking run out and other things.

Thanks guys, it has turned out to be a very useful tool. I keep it "loaded" and ready. Just reach for it, lock it down and go to work.

Julian, nope, just a Taiwanese copy....a middle 80's "Central Machinery" 8x16. Wish it was an Emco! It has been a faithful servant though.:)

Latest posts

Back