Problem with slipping compound graduated dial 7x10 lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater

Reaction score
I purchased a used 7x10 Central Machinery mini lathe and I notice that the graduated dial on the compound advance spins too freely, so that it is impossible to measure advance or retreat. I have fiddled with it some, removing the dial, cleaning up the parts, (thought there might have been too much lubricant in there) put it all back together and still it slips freely as I crank the handle.

I've tried adding a washer or two - nothing seems to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thank - first post outside of the welcome forum...

Thomas

Isn't there a threaded screw to lock it? ???

If there isn't, there should be...

And Welcome! glad your here!
;D

Dave

I believe there is a little piece of bent spring steel to supply the friction for the dial. Bend it up a little to provide more friction.

-Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I'f "fixed" the issue for now with rubber O ring. Will probably add little set screw, or just upgrade the wheels altogether.

Tater said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'f "fixed" the issue for now with rubber O ring. Will probably add little set screw, or just upgrade the wheels altogether.
On one of the Hobby sites there is a step-by-step set of photos for adding
small ball bearings in place of the rubber O ring in machined grooves ... smooth
operation and holds better. As was said in the old 1960's "Groovy".

If I locate where I shall post.

Thanks to Garry and Topos!

I will be doing some of those set up procedures this weekend. I have done some, but this is a much more helpful and thorough guide! Might even fix my compound dial issue.

I enjoy working on the machine, almost as much as working with it. The more I take it apart the better I understand how and what it can do..

Latest posts

Back