Pressure controlled 4-stroke engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Ridders

Reaction score
Hi all interested,
In a 4-stroke engine the crankshaft makes two revolutions per process cycle. The drive mechanism for the valves and the spark ignition rotates 2x slower than this crankshaft. This 1 to 2 distribution normally is made with a gear system, whether or not with a toothed belt or chain. For modelers who can make these gears this will not be a real problem, but I challenged myself to design such a 1 to 2 distribution system without gears. It is again another attempt to create something different, purely for fun and definitely not with the intention to cause an industrial revolution because that will for sure not be the case. I can not leave it to always design variations on existing systems; useful or not. It must be a result of my 40 year working life as a developer in the field of fysical processes. I have no mechanical background so my skills to that respect are limited and maybe my urge to make something different is a kind of compensation for that fact.
I have finished the design for this gearless 4-stroke engine as you can see on my web site, page:
http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_drukgestuurde_4_takt/drukgestuurde4_takt_frameset.htm

I just have started the construction and I will write down my progress from time to time on the "log book" of this web page.
All constructive comments are welcome.

Friendly greetings from Holland,

Very clever. Like the elimination of the cam. Ould have interesting applications.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

I don't exactly understand how it works, but it's an interesting concept.

Chuck

Back