Powered head adjustment-Chinese Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

Congratulations on your contract. Now you can afford a new roundtuit ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Brian, it looks like a real arm saver, this thing. Whyn't you make it easy on yourself and double, or treble the size of that top sprocket?
Ten years from now, you'll thank me...

Dean

I made some more progress today on this project. Both hubs are finished and welded to the sprockets. I didn't realize it, but the sprockets appear to be made from some type of sintered metal.--I'm not sure how good the welds are going to be because of this, but I will take a "Try it and find out" attitude. I also finished the shaft for the bottom sprocket, and got the keyway cut in it to key it to the relocated handwheel.
SPROCKETSANDCHAINANDHUBS001.jpg

SPROCKETSANDCHAINANDHUBS002.jpg

Hi , just read your post and thought i might contribute to it,I too have a large mill and the handle is on the right behind the drilling handles(very inconvenient ) plus the head is heavy to raise .After a while i removed the handle and installed a chain sprocket and used a 24vdc motor from a childs scooter running on 12vdc.
after a few weeks noticed that something was amiss ,on investigation found that the spur gear had parted from the feed screw alignment. this caused major problems in refitting it (2 days on back under mill) . Decided to alter tack and after trolling the net found someone who had installed a Gas strut -liked the idea and purchased two off flea bay for £10 delivered.Installed both and had to remove one as it made it impossible to wind down but could wind up with your finger,it is now fine about the same up and down. I mentioned the first as a cautionary tale to would be modders (especially chinese machines).
regards coldte

Well, there we go. Project is finished. Everything worked out pretty well as I anticipated, and it IS in a much more comfortable position for me to reach that handwheel which raises and lowers the head. Of course, the "proof of the pudding is in the eating" and I will have to try using it this way for a while before I am really sure that I have indeed improved the machine, ergonomically. One good thing about a project like this, it didn't really cost anything other than my time, and if I don't like it, then it is very simple to return to its original condition. As I said in an earlier post, power would have been nice, but then you get into limit switches, power supplies, and all the logistics involved. This way its a lot simpler, and hopefully an improvement over what it was.---Brian
projectfinished006.jpg

projectfinished005.jpg

Brian, that is a nice fit, again, copy and paste time, did you put bearing in the two block, is that a 43 chain, how about a close up shot while I am asking, thank again for the great ideas and projects of improvement, Lathe Nut

very neat solution Brian, and a well done work indeed :bow:

but I wish to know something more about the gas strut from coldte (I emailed him to not go off topic, but no reply till now)

Brian, thanks again and again, copy paste and saved to file for hope this winter project, that must be nice to be able to draw thing out before doing them, your good to us, thanks again, Lathe Nut

Hi,
I dont own a bench top machine, but thought I would let you know that the tiltadoors and panel lift doors on garages are operated off a bike chain as well. I know around here the roller companies throw the old units out when instailing new doors, most still have good motors on them. I dont think it would be much trouble to incorparate a 3rd sprocket for power feed using one of those motors, thats if you or the others wanted to go that way in the future.
Just a thought,
Dave.

It might be worth a trip down to a roller door company and ask them. I know the company here lets you get them out of the scrap bin.The instailer fellows bring them back on there trucks after fitting new doors.
Dave

Back