Porsche 917

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhb

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I keep myself busy with building a model car from scratch . The project is running for more than a year now. After a internet search I found a car which possible could be the subject I was looking for to build a model from. A Porsche 917 . A car with a air-cooled flat 12 cylinder engine. I wanted to make it in a scale of 1 to 5 and will try to use the same material as in the original car.
I'm here to see if I can upgrade my skills in working with metal by getting advise of experts.

Your models look great.

The detail is incredable.

Please continue to share you photos.

SAM

I too am very much looking forward to seeing your progress, rhb. The engine parts are looking fantastic so far, and I can't wait to see how you tackle the hubs, uprights, transaxle ete etc. I want ultimately to do a 1/4 scale Lola T70MkIII with working engine, so your build is of particular interest to me.

That's exactly the sort of project I'm insterested in.
Your work on the crank/rods/pistons looks fantastic, got any more pics? Any of it during machining? Also impressive CAD work. How did you get the body shape into your CAD system?

@SAM in LA
Most of those are no photo's but drawings from my 3D-drawing and if there is any interest in specific parts I can generate them.

@T70MkIII
Nice to hear I'm not the only fool. Good luck and especially in finding all the exact data of the original.

@LongRat
When I'm busy in my workshop I'm a bad photographer but maybe later.
Creating the body shape was by far the easiest part. The content ofthe gearbox was far more complicated.

regards Rijk

rhb you are working at such a high level that I'm intimidated and don't know what to say (and if you add that I don't speak/write english well, the words are at zero)

anyway that is a great project and you're proceeding quite exceptional :bow:

So will this have a working engine so it can drive and race like the original? If so, will it be radio controlled?

Hello RHB, I am a little confused now (not unusual) are the images of the engine and 'internal' parts of your work in machining or your work in CAD? Either of which is superb! I guess you use CAD professionally?

Anyhow most impressed! Look forward to photo's when you are machining. Keep the thread going....

Mike

@Kaleb
If you read my introduction in the Welcome thread than you would know that my intention is to build a as good as possible 1 to 5 model of a Porsche 917. And I don't have enough skills to make a real 12 cilinder running engine.

@Metal Mickey
All the images except the one with the wooden box are renders of 3D drawings.
And no I'm not a profesional CAD user.

As written before this project is now going on for more than a year now. Most of the time was spend on finding technical drawings and dimensions of all the parts the car exist of. And still there are a few parts missing of which I can't find dimensions.

Actualy I don't need the 3D picture. But they are a kind of spin off and for many people better to watch than the technical drawings I needed to make the parts.
But of course they are of good help.

As I don't have any technical building in metal work my pace in producing the parts of the engine is very low. And if you choose for 12 cilinder you have als find a way to make small series of the same parts. So my low pace is than divided by 12. But I keep on going. And I will take some photo's while machining if I don't forget

regards Rijk

Awesome work!
Nice choice of car too.

I'll be keeping an eye on this project.

When starting this project I wondered where to begin.
I subscribed a Car forum, a Blueprint forum, a Model car forum and even a Computer Graph forum. You can meet people and every one has his own interest and skills. One for drawing another for building models. Although I found a whole lot of knowledge and tricks no one of those fora could help me out with metal work in combination with a small engine.
And now I ‘m here on HMEM. I’ve seen here a lot of small engines . So maybe I can find here some support when doing the machining of the Porsche engin and I'm out of ideas.

Rijk,

Your craftsmanship and attention to detail are an inspiration. Please keep sharing pictures of your progress.

Best regards,

Bob Farr

Beautiful renders, rhb. Please keep 'em coming. Can I ask which blueprint forum you joined?

Hello Rijk,

Your CAD work is very impressive. I cannot imagine that drawing the body was the easiest part, I would not have a clue where too start! Looking forward to see your next steps.

Groetjes Jeroen

Rijk,

It is truly amazing that you were able to create such realistic computer rendered pictures.

SAM

T70MkIII said:
Beautiful renders, rhb. Please keep 'em coming. Can I ask which blueprint forum you joined?
The forum was SMCars but the most important stuff came from individuals. But you only met them by means of joining a forum and asking. This way it made me possible to get in touch with the Porsche Museum. Unfortunatley they could not help me either. Later on I will tell the story about my search for technical drawings.

regards Rijk

coopertje said:
I cannot imagine that drawing the body was the easiest part, I would not have a clue where too start! Looking forward to see your next steps.

Try using decent blueprints from one of the blueprint sites and start practicing. Maybe the first 10 times it will become **** but one day you will see the light. There are enough examples how to draw a carbody on the internet.

mvgrijk

Latest posts

Back