Poppin Picture and Video

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi

Here is my 1st Flame-Licker Engine, my 4th project so far. This was the first project I did with my

new Mini-Mill, and enjoyed making it.

Here is a Picture:

poppin.jpg

Also a Video:

I took a few shortcuts like:

The crank is made from brass, I have not mastered creating a steel one yet!

I did a few 45Deg cuts on the main body instead of rounding off. I did not have a rotary table and I

did not want any file or sandpaper marks on the piece. I realy wanted to show the machined surface.

It appears that the seating of the valve and piston lubrication are most important for this type of

engine. I had to try a few different "bends" to the valve to get it to run and it needs adjustment

every so often. At first I ran the engine with a light machine oil, but after it cooled the valve

would be "glued" to the head and the oil in the cylinder was thick and sticky. I cleaned it out and

rubbed some extra-fine graphite on the cylinder walls and then I poured a small amount on a cloth and

rolled the piston in it to coat it all over. After I did that, it ran at twice the RPM and only needs

to be redone after a dozen or so 5 minuit runs.

Well, back to the next project.

ironhorse..............thats a great look and running engine ;D
i have never built one of those but i bought one at a sale one day last year,
it runs ok but i sure don't run or look as good as yours !
i really like the way you did the fuel tank in the base, just turn it to vary the engine speed.

what kind of mini mill did you get?

chuck

Great job you have done on that. A real achievement.

John

Very nice indeed. I have one of those that I can't get to run to save my soul. I'm quite envious!

Chuck

Very nice. Although I've not built a flame licker, I do have one a friend gave me, but cannot get it to run at all. Can't determine if it's the timing or friction.

Your video has inspired me to go back, take a closer look, and see if I can get the thing to run.

Once again Great Job! Now off to the shop to see if I can find the flame licker.

TinkerJohn

I love the sound of those engines. Yours turned out beautifully.
Tim

I like that a lot! ;D
It seems to run quite happily with a brass crank... do you think It knows it should have had a steel one? :big:
If you hadn't mentioned the 45 deg cuts I'd never have known you had not meant them as your own styling!
Looks good to me! ;)
I also like the burner placement... simple and very effective ;D
Sooner or later I'll get round to one of these and your graphite testing will help me out.... Thank you.
Is your next one a secret? or have/will you be posting it's progress?

Ralph.

I don't know how it works but it looks and sounds great :bow: Well done!!

I Love That Engine!

It was the very first flame licker that I was ever able to get to run.
Your's is a much cleaner build than mine was.

Very Well Done!

Rick

Thanks for all the good comments about my new engine. ;D

Just to answer a couple of questions, I Picked up a Sieg X2 Mini-Mill last year, A big improvement

over my old Drill Press! Also my next project is one that I have already made, but could not get it to

run yet. I found some partial plans in a book called "Home Mechanics For Amateurs" (google Books).

Here is a Picture of what it will look like:

PageFromBook.jpg

I think I made the displacer piston too narrow, I have to experiment with the clearance between the

piston and the cylinder. It realy wants to run, but will not keep going. ???

Excellent looking work. I am considering building one of these and your work is very encouraging.

Back