"Popper" plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj-smith

Reaction score
Ok, here goes!

Hello folks, I am a newby here but already have had hordes of fun just reading and researching the forum.

I came across a flame licker or expansion engine called "Popper" in one of the many threads I've read, but I can't for the life of me find it again.
There was even a link to the very simple plans for it, which is what I 'm after.

My personal situation is very complicated and I struggle with working all across the North American continent and not being home much, and for that reason I can't always access computers or storage for the information I come up with.
Hence the quest for the Popper plan link.
Maybe being home tomorrow I can start preparing for the build of that beautiful little engine and print out those plans ( One sheet I thought.)

If anyone can lead me to that link I would be grateful.

That having been said, I have to get it together and start fresh with pics and attendance here on the site, so as to become familliar with some of you and to re-insert myself into the machinists shoes and get back at it. It has been a long time!

I am actively persuing the buying of a more "modern" small mill, and as my 6 x 12" Atlas is not up to the job anymore, I am looking for a better lathe also.

Most of everything else I have left needs at least some attention other than the new welder and other new gear I have collected in the last little while so it will take time to get comfy again.

Hope this is the acceptable place to ask for the link,
Cheers to you all,... I'll be back! :)

Last edited:
Howdy,

Well, I just couldn't leave it be and did some more desperate looking, and lo and behold I found the plans.

The name of the little marvel was not POPPER, but POPPIN!

I have been in and out thinking on this little engine for at least 28 - 30 years since I first saw one very much like it at a steam show in Ontario.
Each time I would start plans to get going on it, things would happen or interfere and throw it all out of reach again till I just forgot about it up until a few days ago, when I ran across the almost identical engine again and, not least, the plans with it!

So the seed is planted (again), and I will get going on getting material for it, most of which I have, except the grey cast iron for the cylinder.

My tired old Atlas will rejoice at the task and the chance to prove once more to be up to it!

So the first "myself" built project flame eating model engine is ACTIVE again for the umpteenth time.
Here's to good luck and success!
Question?....What question?:rolleyes:

Cheers and regards, John.

Hello Portland ron,

Yup..., thats the one I was looking for.
It's a long story, but what caught my eye all those years ago was the valve reciprocating and how absolutely simple a design it was.

I didn't know about the contraction cycle but knew that I'd be interested to build one...well...I got stuck on stationary and steam engines instead and from there life went crazy.

I like small things and machining that doesn't have to utilize cranes and even bigger machines to have to work with so I revolved into smaller engines I could handle by myself and never did get into model stuff.

Thank you for looking to find the link.

Regards, John.

Latest posts

Back