Poor Man's Dividing Head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I am at the far end of the supply line,some items are hard to buy. Some USA/UK vendors will not ship to Singapore.Small gears are hard to get. So make your own that is D.I.Y. To D.I.Y. gears I must DIY
Dividing Head which cost a bomb to DHL in from LMS.

Dividing Head ------a poor copy of Harold Hall's DH.

See attached foto of Harold Hall's DH and plans.

The finished DH will end as "no look alike" Harold's DH.

Material came from the scrap or left-over bins. Mini Chuck bought while shopping in HongKong. The Hex Bolt came from nuts& bolts shop at dollar a piece.

Local Time now 8:00 am Friday 21st June 2013.

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Last edited:
Been working hard. Darling wife advised -----" Outside Activities". Haze now at 400 PSI. So work at home.

Local Time : 12 noon June 21 2013.
Turn hex bolt to make chuck arbor. SAE Grade 5 Bolts cuts very well at 600 rpm with HSS cutter and Tapmatic
Tapping Oil. No drawings just a cartoon sketch.
By noon finished the chuck arbor and assembled.No reworks.All dimensions on the dot.
See foto.

IMG_1912.jpg

Start work at 1pm. Cut 1 1/2" Square bar to length for DH Column. When you have a BandSaw,cutting is
a pleasure w/o panting away dragging a manual hacksaw. Cut nearest scribe lines to minimise waste.
Fotos shows a bandsaw cut v/s a manual hacksaw cut.
The Makita Portable Bandsaw made vertical and stationary was a good shop investment.

Rough Mill cuts both ends in no time. Been using roughing mills at my last job.But they used to come no smaller than 1 " back in the 90s. Found 12 mm mills from "richontools". Normal 4F mills do not cut well on the sides.
Japanese Roughing Mills gives a medium finish but this Chinese Roughing Mill requires a rework with standard mill for better finish.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Last edited:
5PM.
Been working smart and fast with no rejects or rework.
DH completed and assembled. A Chinese Orbital Sander helped polish uo the DH column.

Poor Man's Dividing Head done, Please take a look at the blank dividing plate aka poor man's D.Plate.
What is left now is the arbor for the gear cutter. Looks like come next week,gear cutting lesson cum
practice will begin.
Been a very productive day.The 400+ Haze did not bother me too much.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

Looks great Gus, is that a 2 inch chuck? or maybe where your at its in millimeter equivlent?

Also are you using a gear for divisions or will you drill holes and make a dividing plate for it?

WOW! great work Gus. Should be twisting gears out in no time.

Brock

Amazing stuff Gus. There is something very significant about doing the worlds shortest project on the years longest day!!! I have sweat enough blood cutting my own gears that I have developed a "fair" working knowledge of gear cutting, although mine are 24DP. If you have any questions, I can probably help.---Brian

WOW! great work Gus. Should be twisting gears out in no time.

Brock

Hi Brock,
You may be right. Your advice is J.I.T. Will take precaution to avoid gear blank
pulled out or bent. For this good reason I bought a Sakai ML360 mini lathe that came with a 3 " chuck. The 84mm chuck is made of steel.There are cheapy chucks sold made of aluminium.

Relax.I am only cutting Module 0.8 gears.

Will 25t gear and DH when job gets done.

Looks great Gus, is that a 2 inch chuck? or maybe where your at its in millimeter equivlent?

Also are you using a gear for divisions or will you drill holes and make a dividing plate for it?

Hi ZipSnipe.

Chuck is 64mm. Will be using an existing 50T gear as divider to cut a 25T
dividing plate.Same exercise is to train Gus to cut gear.

Last edited:
Hi Gus, I think you misunderstood Brock, he was saying you will be able to make lots of gears in no time. He was just using slang terminology.

Shawn

Edit: the DH looks awesome : )

Hi Gus, I think you misunderstood Brock, he was saying you will be able to make lots of gears in no time. He was just using slang terminology.

Shawn

Edit: the DH looks awesome : )

Hi Shawn,

No offence meant.

Gus is Chinese speaking/educated. English is second language.The way we speak English in Singapore can be hard to comprehend.
Poor China students come to Singapore to brush their English and ended up speaking "Singlish".The Singapore Goverment is trying hard to get us to speak good English.

Spent some time working in Kentucky,USA. Had a hard time too understanding the locals. The Kentuckians are very friendly.They mistook Gus as Japanese. Some even spoke Japanese to me. I had a hrad time trying hard no to embarass these nice country folks. Oh .I love their country ham and potatato skins.

Have heard of reports of jobs pulled out of 64 mm chucks. Just took a good hard look at the DH. A tail stock is a must to prevent deflection.Though I may take a very cautious approach just cutting one groove or tooth.

Did have a hard time years back in Australia. The "Ozz" English can be hard to comprehend.After so many holidays there,Gus can speak bit Ozenglish.

Regards,

Gus Teng.

Another productive morning. Used a discarded Grade 8 blank hex bolt to make the gear cutter arbor as per "Bush Engineering Plans/sketch.The hex head was hard to skim down to 27mm. Fortunately the shank was not to hard to skim down to 12mm.
Arbor completed and assembled by 12 noon.
Have yet to figure out the dividing plate and stops.
See fotos.

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

Gus, I really enjoy your work. Particularly because certain things for you are hard to get and you are good at getting the job done despite the circumstances. Also, I'm amazed how fast you work too!

Did have a hard time years back in Australia. The "Ozz" English can be hard to comprehend.After so many holidays there,Gus can speak bit Ozenglish.

Regards,

Gus Teng.

That's alright Gus, even I find others here in OZ hard to follow sometimes mate! cheers, Ian

Gus, you are an inspiration!!

Jim

Hi Jim,

A D.Head cost a bomb. Since I am only cutting very small Metric Module 0.8 gears .See no point in buying a US$400 Dividing Head from LMS.

A bit more work to do before the 25T pinion gear can materialise.

A gear tooth engaging device is next to make. See foto of W.I.P. at 6pm today with the haze still raging. Darling wife does not want hubby killed by the bad haze now hovering at 150-----200 PSI(Particle Standard Index).
Still very unhealthy.

Had two very productive days.

Tomorrow fishing. Been very dry.Expect water to be pristine and fish aplenty
and hungry.

IMG_1928.jpg

Latest posts

Back