Arnold's small turbine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't Elmer's turbine design include plans for a belt driven centrifugal pump? Perhaps something could be easily adapted from that.

Worm reductions are typically way lower than 50% efficient and therefore non-reversible.

This can lead to problems if the input comes to a halt more rapidly then the output (high inertia loads) - then the teeth break or become worn very rapidly.

Almost certainly not a problem for Arnold's application however.

FYI

Ken

Thanks Jeroen :)

Tel, thanks mate ;D

BillC, Ken, Chaffe - thanks very much for the ideas and discussion!

Richard, yes; Elmer's turbine actually has a centrifugal water pump accompanying it with a belt drive.

For now, I'll have to disappoint everybody; it's going to stay as-is - except for getting a base. I'll definitely make another turbine in future; there's a lot of things I'd like to try out that came up from this build that would be interesting to experiment with.
This really was just a quick diversion to try out some machining techniques; it just happened that the turbine fit in with the exercise, and that nearly all people who see my engine collection wants to know about a turbine. It's easy now; I can point to it, give it a good blow to let it whine up, and then put it down and then bore the viewers with the intricacies of the Grasshopper or Coomber engines ;D

Time to clean and service the machines properly, and carry on with more interesting (for me, that is) projects now ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

I'll try again - when I "pressed" the Post button a few hours ago, I couldn't post it, cause the site was down .... :(

The only way to lubricate a very high revving gear or bearing is with oil mist ...!!!!

As Ken said, there's no space for the oil drops at very high rpm's so a bearing will disintegrate, but the very tiny droplets of the mist are small enough that the spheres in the bearing (or the teeth of the gear) will "walk over them" (in lack of a better term) without any problems.

Take a look in a bearing catalogue like SKF and notice that several of their bearings are rated at a much higher max rpm when using oil mist instead of oil as a "fluid".

Or use ceramic bearings....? That is, if it were a bearing issue - don't think the expense of ceramic gears is justified.....

I should stop posting while working.... they both suffer!

BillC

or just use bronze bearings like turbos do, thay do 100,000 rpm

This was a pleasure to read through. I certainly picked up some nifty little tricks there Arnold.

Well done

Brad

Thanks Brad :)

You certainly picked this thread up from the "archives" :big: - and I still have to make it's base ::)

Kind regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back