PMResearch 3BI Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman

Reaction score
Started this project a week or so ago. Thought I would try to share photos with the group. Some improvising makes it more interesting. Ray

3BI Parts3.JPG

3BI Ream BrgBlk.JPG

3BI SetUp.JPG

3BI Drilling.JPG

Ah the PMR #3. A particular favorite of mine ;D It is always interesting to me to see the methods used to machine these engines, Nicely done. It should prove to be a very robust engine when you are finished. Keep us posted on your progress please.

BC1
Jim

Thanks for the pics. I had to buy the 3BIM because I only have a small lathe and little experience with it. Hopefully one day I can do the machining myself.

Ray, Are you the same "ironman" from Rick's Steel group?

Do keep us posted, Ray.

These are pretty nice little engines. When I first saw your pictures, I thought, "That looks somewhat familiar". Built one of the cast aluminum versions about 12-13 years ago. I think the castings were $24 at the time.
I remember thinking it would be easier having castings for a change, instead of the bar stock engines I had built at the time. Ha! What did I know about castings?

Took me a long time to figure out where to locate the first hole in those castings. Turned out to be a very nice runner, though.

Looks like you're getting along well with it!

Dean

Thanks Chris333 and Deanofid. No I am not that ironman (I don't think). Is that the name of the group? (Rick's Steel Group)
I started to get the aluminum one but decided on the bronze for a change. That was like you said, a change from barstock engines. I have completed it now and trying to borrow my wife's phone to make a running short video. Soon
I had to use my brain to figure how to do some of the stuff, but I got it done.
Also still working on my Hasbrouck Number7, 2 cylinder steam engine. I have made 6 blocks, everything has been done for a while. Me and small bits and small taps don't get along.

Back