PM Research #1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Albert,

My build has come to a temporary stop as I have returned to work, despite thinking that I had retired, so no progress until later this summer when I think I shall finally be able to say that I have retired and can now do my own thing in the workshop.

Would be very interesting to watch your progress as I am quite new to this model engineering hobby being a physicist by profession and an instrument engineer by trade so had very little exposure to the toys I now have in my shop.

With best regards,

Mike

It has been a month since my last post. The work schedule gets really crazy once the tractors are in the fields so I worked a little when I had time on the engine. A few pictures were taken of each step and are filed away in my desktop that died. All that is left before it can be run is to complete the valve operating rod even though a lot of details remain before completion.

Mike,

I approached my cylinder by turning a mandrel to fit the rough bore with a shank to fit in the tailstock chuck. Then mounted it in the tail stock and used it to hold the cylinder in position while I clamped it in the 4 jaw. I posted a few pictures previously, but Keith Appleton on youtube has a great show and tell on the method. He is a much better communicator than me.

IMG_0291.JPG

Hi,

Certainly following your build and reread your process for the cylinder work and believe that I understand your thinking and will indeed be following the same path, and hopefully with the same success.

The rest of your build is coming along nicely and I will see if i can start a small log of my own to document and share what I had managed to do before being dragged kicking and screaming back to work.

All the best to all following this series of builds of the #1 engine.

Mike

Hi Mike

Was some time since I logged in here again

Thanks for the message, hope you do great when you return to work on the #1. I am now busy with the cylinder and most of the work on the casing is completed. I've added brass bushings to the crank also.

Regards

Albert

Hi Albert,

My build has come to a temporary stop as I have returned to work, despite thinking that I had retired, so no progress until later this summer when I think I shall finally be able to say that I have retired and can now do my own thing in the workshop.

Would be very interesting to watch your progress as I am quite new to this model engineering hobby being a physicist by profession and an instrument engineer by trade so had very little exposure to the toys I now have in my shop.

With best regards,

Mike

IMG_0654.JPG

Hi Guys

How are you doing on the number 1?

My progress is rather slow because of this load shedding thing we have here in South Africa, but I have finished in addition to my last post the cylinder, head, inboard head, valve head, piston and connecting rod. Next is the valve, rods and eccentric. I have not taken many progress photos

I am thinking of adding a brass shim plate around the cylinder like on the #5 engine, but fixing it as per #6 engine. Any thought about this?

Regards

Albert

Good day all

My engine is nearing completion and I will attempt running it in this weekend on the compressor....I will post fotos of that soon

Regards

Latest posts

Back