Plilip Duclos' "Odds 'n Ends Hit 'n Miss Engine"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc-zeus

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of building this engine and need some help regarding the springs for the governor. Either I'm blind, or the design details for the springs are omitted from the drawings/instructions. The only narrative I seem to find is a statement to the effect that too strong or too weak springs will result in poor performance.

If anyone has the details i.e. wire dia. coil dia,and length, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

This would help me avoid doing a whole bunch of trial and error spring winding!

Thanks in advance. :)

Doc, I don't know what the springs are supposed to be but mine are about 50 turns of .010" music wire. they measure .200" outside diameter and .850" in length not counting the one turn eye on each end. the coils are wound tight against each other. one coil is bent sideways on each end for attachment.

I have not run the engine yet but hope to in the next week or two, I'll let you know how they work out.

Randel

Thanks for the reply. Anxiously await your trial run and report. Meanwhile, I've plenty of work to keep me busy. :)

if you haven't already, please post some pics so we can see where you are on it.

R

No pictures yet.

All I've got is a lot of the parts. I chickened out and started with the easier parts. The crankshaft and a couple others are particularly intimidating! Probably will take a lot more head scratching on my part to build the nerve to tackle those!

Doc

Latest posts

Back