Play Misty for Me

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra428

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm in the market for a air and coolant mist system. ENCO, MSC....etc big $$$. Then I looked at our friends at LMS and low and behold

https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2725&category=2122081959

This looks like it's a much better unit mag base brass nozzle....
https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2966&category=2122081959

Has anybody have any experience with these units

Also, looking to hook it up to a foot switch. Cheap pneumatic foot switch anyone ???

Thanks in Advance

Tony

Could an old spray gun be modified for this purpose ??? ??? ???

Either that, or one of these
hozelock-porta-flower-shower-4140.jpg

Hi Tony;
Nick Carter, a home machinist guy who sells Taig machines and other machine stuff, says this type of mist system works quite well. He sells a version of one, for a similar price to the LMS lower cost unit. He's known as the kind of guy who doesn't sell products that he doesn't like. (I have no connection to his business.)

He has a write up here:
http://www.cartertools.com/sprakool.html

I'm not trying to get you to buy the one he sells. Only wanted to steer you toward his short write up.

Dean

Dean,
Time is running out till Forum maint. LMS has the same unit I just don't know at this time but thanks. hope you get this

Tony

I've got one of the Spra-Kool units. It works, though a little fiddly to get right (difficult to make it not puddle at least a little), but I don't use it much at all. On the CNC I use a flood because it washes the chips away and on manual machines, I rarely need any sort of coolant.

shred, Dean
Thanks for the input. My Mill can do flood coolant but.... how can you see the work under the Niagara? If I was doing production work, yes, flood would be the way to go. All I'm looking for is a foot pedal that gives me a blast of air then a blast of lube. We do need 4 hands to work a mill 1 on x, 1 on y, one on oil and one blow gun. Yes,
you are right, for the work we do.....don't need it. But Santa is coming to town!!! It would be nice, don't you think,
to just step down and blow the chips away and give a little lube. Sounds good to me!! It seems to me that I'm always in a "rush" to get the chips out and get some lube on the work. I'm always reaching for something ...blow gun....lube ...blow gun....know what I mean? Foot down done! A couple of jobs ago, there was a proto mach shop in house as an engineer I could go to. Bridgeport, Power drawbar, mist coolant, DRO and whatever else you could put on it. Beautiful. I learned a lot from that machinist. Convenience is key or I'm getting old and lazy :big:

Tony

Today, I busted Santa. I don't work far from home (8 miles) so I decided to go home for lunch. Low and behold there is a package at the front door. What could it be...I didn't order anything......maybe she....it's from LMS....must be for me......Santa tuned in and brought me a new toy....thanks Santa :bow:

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Why do I feel like Dr. Frankenstein.....this mill has more tubes and wire going to it now. Now I have to bring air to it and make up a foot pedal

I'm a lucky boy woohoo1

Tony

Sweet man. She let you play with your toy before Christmas? I sure like mine Kool Mist I'm sure you will too.

Matt.

Very cool, Tony.

Now you are going to have to give us a full report...

Lately I've been thinking of adding coolant to my mill, though I'm leaning towards flood.
Still, I could have both ;D

1hand,
She had no choice it was on the mill in two minutes after I opened the box. She got a big kiss and dinner out.

ksouers,
No problem on the report, I'll see if I can do a vid of it in operation too. I was messing with the blow gun the other day and it don't take much pressure to blow away the chips. A little air and a little lube and I won't need four hands anymore. A foot pedal and I'm in biz.

Tony

PS It can move to the lathe in seconds. Mag base

This is an issue Ive been trying to address for the last years or so. Collant... my mill has none and also no provision so this looks like it might be a go....

Also..."Play Misty For ME" for a movie, this scared the crap outta me as a teenager... almost put me off relationships..(alomst ;D).

Artie

Hey Artie,
Doing the small engine I'm working on (Whittle V8) I was scaring the crap out of myself. reaching for the oil..... reaching for the blow gun ... the oil ...the blow gun,,,,,Somewhere in there I could get the fingers in the fly cutter (God forbid). This, I hope, if it works right, will be a blessing. A little toe touch and chips get blow away and a little oil goes on the cutter.

I'll let all know how it works out

Tony

Tony I hear you. Several years ago I was cleaning up the chassis on a Ducati I was restoring. Hot day, brew in one hand, rag with metho in the other . Wet rag with metho, wipe off overspray, swig of beer, pick up bottle of metho to wet rag and.... take a swig... damn... so confusing... mate saw me do it and couldnt get out the sounds required to stop me... they still talk about that often....

Looking forward to a report.

Cheers

Artie

Congratulations Tony.
Same here...I'll be interested in knowing more.

Artie...I know what you mean. Eastwood can have that effect. ;D

Air to blow the chips away?
I've been using a brush.
Has anyone ever had the brush ripped from their hand?
I haven't...but I wonder about it. (I do move the cutter away first.)

Hey Zee,
Air is the way to go. I have it at both the mill and the lathe. Before I do anything I blow off the chuck or vice and wipe or brush to make sure no chips will throw me off. During the cutting I constantly blow the chips away and add a dab of oil. I go to many pro machine shops in my work to have prototypes made and that's the way the big boys do it (when their not CNC'ing it).

Tony

zeeprogrammer said:
Air to blow the chips away?
I've been using a brush.
Has anyone ever had the brush ripped from their hand?
I haven't...but I wonder about it. (I do move the cutter away first.)

Yep, that's why you use a brush!

Air is great. I have a Noga unit similar to the one pictured here. BTW, Enco has them on sale for $79. Works great. I mostly just use the air and don't give it any liquid. I let it run the whole cut long.

Cheers,

BW

I must be the only one that runs the shop vac to get rid of chips on my little CNC mill.

I use my crustly old shop vac too.

Air is kinda bad to use. It blows chips all over the place, can blast crud into your eyes (even though you -are- wearing eye protection) and can force chips into places your machine may not want them to be.

Not trying to be harsh but I shiver at the thought of all the crud being blown around.

Latest posts

Back