Plans for a condensing engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
I'm considering a new steam engine build and after the series a wobblers, verticals, rotarys, and mill engines I've done, I was thinking of going very old.

The original steam engines (both the Newcomen and the Watt's) were condensing engines. They were usually single acting with a working beam. Their purpose was to pump water out of mines.

I know I have no chance of making a model Newcomen engine. These things were so inefficient, that in model form they almost never work.

But, I think that an early Watt style engine is within grasp.

So does anyone have or know of plans for an early model Watt engine?

Thanks,

...Ved.

300px-Watt_steam_pumping_engine.JPG

Well, I did some more hunting and came up with nothing.

So unless somebody helps in this endeavor, I'l have to forge on my own. Anyways, I scoured the Internet and found what seems to be a common cutaway drawing of one of Watt's pumping engines.

So I traced over it in a CAD system. Then I scaled it so that the piston bore is 1.5". From here I can get the relative diameters and stroke lengths of the other dimensions (walking beam, condenser size, condenser pump, etc.)

Now it's the painstaking task of translating this 2D sketch into a 3D model that's simple enough I can work from. The cutaway drawing isn't detailed enough for the valving, so I'll just have to come up with something on my own.

...Ved.

View attachment Bitmap Tracing-Model with bitmap.pdf

View attachment Bitmap Tracing-Model without bitmap.pdf

(1) A construction series with excellent drawings for a working model Newcomen engine was published about 30 years ago in one of the model engineering magazines . Probably Engineering in Miniature .

(2) Boulton & Watt

(3) More

(4) Crofton Engines

Last edited:
I don't have many EIM for that period but on a quick search I came across a construction series for a James Watt Lap Engine . My one copy is for Dec1986 and it's part ix so must be articles before and after that date .

Thank you for your insight and help folks.

Continuing on with the design. I have some major components placed.

I still need to:

• refine the steam valve
  • attach the chains
  • design the pump side
  • design the condenser
  • design with condensate pump
  • I sure a lot of other stuff too.
But hey, it's a start....

View attachment Assy - Watt Pumping Engine.pdf

Capture.jpg

It's been some time and work is progressing slowly. The summer can be quite busy for me.

So I've managed to do a bit more work on this engine design, fleshing out the valve linkage and condenser.

...Ved.

Assy - Watt Pumping Engine.jpg

Back