plans for 50cc upwards metric only IC running on diesel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeshan

Reaction score
hi guys and gals,

I am looking for plans for 50cc and upwards, metric only, IC running on real diesel. is there anything around?
if there are assembly instructions cad files etc would be great.

"Real diesel" is difficult to achieve in small capacity engines without some form of fuel additive such as ether.
As far as metric only, it has been my experience in the last 50 years that most engines will tolerate imperial measurements even when converted to metric.

hey bluejets, thanks for the tip on the fuel. was being a bit lazy i suppose looking for metric i guess. do you know of any good free imperial plans or cad for a 50cc or plus engine?

One could use just about any plan and scale it up to whatever capacity you require.
Mate of mine built a scale Lister Diesel a few years back and it was 20cc so in comparison a 50cc would be rather huge.
Plan was his own design, but scale just the same.
Should be some section views of these engines out there on the internet to get some ideas.
Video here and I believe he listed the plan with a magazine in the UK.
Some comments below the video........

Last edited:
One could use just about any plan and scale it up to whatever capacity you require.
Mate of mine built a scale Lister Diesel a few years back and it was 20cc so in comparison a 50cc would be rather huge.
Plan was his own design, but scale just the same.
Video here and I believe he listed the plan with a magizine in the UK.
Some comments below the video........

looks insipiring

First thing that popped into my head was something more useful in a RC vehicle. That would be sweet. The 50cc size would be very useful for both airplanes and 1/5th scale trucks, buggies, truggies ect.

First thing that popped into my head was something more useful in a RC vehicle. That would be sweet. The 50cc size would be very useful for both airplanes and 1/5th scale trucks, buggies, truggies ect.
sure john, i was hoping for something big!

50cc diesel in an aircraft or 1/5 scale anything...you're joking , right?

I'm talking about the model diesel engines in the RC world of yesteryear. They are compact and powerful. Nothing like the engine shown.

We use 50cc or even bigger for 1/5 scale RC bashers all the time.

RC max makes a killer 71cc or even an 80cc if you dare option for 1/5 scale stuff. They are insanely powerful.

The diesel engines of yesteryear were never 50cc.........perhaps 5cc maximum, normally up to around 2.5cc would have been the norm.
Think you must be confused with either 2 stroke petrol engines used these days which can be built light enough or methanol of the same type.
The latter are sometimes referred to as "diesel" although the Op did say "true diesel" which is what I showed.

At the top of the page the icon there shows what is normally referred to as a model diesel engine.
These run on a mix of kero, castor oil and ether. No spark or glow plug required.

If the Op is more clear on the requirement, someone may be able to help him out.
How many engines have you actually built by the way?

Last edited:
Understand that. I've been in the RC/model world enough to know what they are. I was referring to my initial reaction to the title. I know they typically are much smaller. But that's why I got excited for a 50cc version. Thought the OP wanted to do something EXTREMELY interesting. I have no idea what kind of challenges that would entail. That might be something I should look into and see if it is even possible to do something that big.

I haven't built one yet. I have messed around several years ago with designing a supercharged, dual overhead cam, gasoline four stroke V16. But since then life kinda got in the way, marriage and all that.😁

I got the preliminary cad plan stashed away some place.. It was a slow process as I had to learn how to use CAD, learn the intricate details of engines and how they work. And draw it up. But I did really enjoy it and I will pick it up again. I understand engines a whole lot better now than I did back then and I will totally revamp my design when I get back to it.

sorry i didnt even realise guys the posts were building. I be honest with you I am interested in learning about engines, 50cc and up really, reason for the size is I want to use regular fuels not glow or nitros or whatever, It not for any particular model and being honest I dont have a workshop yet I am a designer.

The diesel engines of yesteryear were never 50cc.........perhaps 5cc maximum, normally up to around 2.5cc would have been the norm.
Think you must be confused with either 2 stroke petrol engines used these days which can be built light enough or methanol of the same type.
The latter are sometimes referred to as "diesel" although the Op did say "true diesel" which is what I showed.

At the top of the page the icon there shows what is normally referred to as a model diesel engine.
These run on a mix of kero, castor oil and ether. No spark or glow plug required.

If the Op is more clear on the requirement, someone may be able to help him out.
How many engines have you actually built by the way?
Hi i was hoping to run on petrol pump fuels. regular unleaded or diesel is great if you have a 2 stroke petrol plans sounds ideal. :) in fact a 2 stroke petrol makes more sense, thanks.

Various manufacturers build a 2 stroke , CDI spark ignition with fuel pump on the carby, way down to 9cc's.
These run on pump fuel/oil mix.
Not diesel.
Cheap and they work quite well.
I have a few in the range of sizes with the largest @52cc.
As I said earlier, diesel engines running on a mix of ether, castor oil and kero are usually maximum size of around 2.5cc.

NGH GT9 9cc Gas Engine With Rcexl CDI Ignition

Attachments

• NGH.jpg
    NGH.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Various manufacturers build a 2 stroke , CDI spark ignition with fuel pump on the carby, way down to 9cc's.
These run on pump fuel/oil mix.
Not diesel.
Cheap and they work quite well.
I have a few in the range of sizes with the largest @52cc.
As I said earlier, diesel engines running on a mix of ether, castor oil and kero are usually maximum size of around 2.5cc.

NGH GT9 9cc Gas Engine With Rcexl CDI Ignition
wow its cool! thanks - any plans going?

Latest posts

Back