Piston Ring Splitter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpaul

Reaction score
Some time ago I saw a piston ring splitter that was featured in SIC? And now I have use for such a device. I have pictures of the tool but additional guidance would be appreciated. How are the cutter blanks held in the body? Is there a special procedure to cut the chisels on center? What issue of SIC was this tool featured in?

A couple of years ago I had occasion to make a piston and associated rings for a 12" to the foot Weirs reciprocating steam pump.

Settled on the Paul Chernikeeff method and also applied it to my model mill engine.

Works a treat provided you use spun or even better double spun cast iron.

Attached is an excel file I made to calculate all the bits for the ring blank.

Hope this helps.

View attachment Pistoncalc.xls

Gary,
Thanks for the reference to modelenginenews. The image of the "ring cleaver" along with the author's explanation of how he made his cutters answered my questions.

Maryac,
I found your reference to spun and double spun CI informative. When polishing the OD of my rings, I noticed a fine, grainy, spiral ribbon uniformly aligned on the semi polished surface. Adds an additional quality to 'fine grained cast iron'.

thank you both

Latest posts

Back