pipe thread angle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gld

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Machinery Handbook states American Pipe thread angle is 1°- 47".

Is it the same for model taper pipe? :confused:

I assume it is, but assuming seems to always get me in trouble. :fan:

Google does'nt know either.

I believe model pipe thread is straight. P M research web site has a lot of info on that since they sell all the taps dies and do it yourself fittings.

Yes. the machinery handbook states .750" taper per foot for all pipe threads from 1/16" up. Non tapered threads are also common, and those use an O-ring and jam nut w/washer to seal.

I know of parts sold with straight male threads, that thread into tapered female fitting, I've not seen two straight threaded parts that thread together and not use an O-ring to seal.

Like I said check PM RESEARCH web site. the have straight model pipe threads that use sealant to seal. They also have RECENTLY started offering tapered fittings and taps and dies.

Yes, MTP is the same angle as full size pipe. 3/4" per foot. The 5/16-27 MTP is the same as 1/16" pipe.

The taps and dies for MTP are available from more than one source.

PM RESEARCH sells both straight and MTP fittings.

Tim

Machinery Handbook states American Pipe thread angle is 1°- 47".

Is it the same for model taper pipe? :confused:

I assume it is, but assuming seems to always get me in trouble. :fan:

Google does'nt know either.

Thanks Tim

I have the 3/16-40 MTP from PM.

I need to do a short 1/4 pipe, and hate to spend the 65 bucks for the 1/4-40 tap & die witch I would probably never use again. Besides, it will be more fun to make them. I have made several taps, but never hardened one. I need to find out what material is used to cover threads when heat treating. And where to purchase same.

Latest posts

Back