pin drills in a HF lathe drill chuck?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_slicer

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure tiny drill bits in the existing HF lathe drill chuck. Are there any tricks of the trade you can share? or do I need to buy a mandrel adapter for this like the below image:

31ytJNeUa0L.jpg

I have a Jacobs Drill Chuck #0, (#80 drill bit) 0.0135"-5/32" Capacity, 0JT Mount with #2 Morse taper
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2812a11/=x3unn4

I got mine 40 years ago for first SB 9 still have it today and still using it today.
The bad news is the cost

Dave

DrillChuck80.jpg

Well it looks like one of these would be the most practical.

Sensitive_Drill.jpg

I just finished using tiny drills including a number #76 drill on my Jerry Howell Farmboy Engine. I used a Starrett pin vise to hold my drill in a Jacobs chuck.
It ran close to being 0.0 on my indicator for T.I.R. on my HF milling machine. It was never any trouble to use the pin vise. I don't have a clue as to the cost
of a pin vise ,but it was the only thing I had and I used it. I did not use a pair of pliers to tighten the pin vise up either. Just finger tight and it worked great.

I just finished using tiny drills including a number #76 drill on my Jerry Howell Farmboy Engine. I used a Starrett pin vise to hold my drill in a Jacobs chuck.
It ran close to being 0.0 on my indicator for T.I.R. on my HF milling machine. It was never any trouble to use the pin vise. I don't have a clue as to the cost
of a pin vise ,but it was the only thing I had and I used it. I did not use a pair of pliers to tighten the pin vise up either. Just finger tight and it worked great.

Thanks Boot, I appreciate your input!

I really like this one. its $125.00 at Amazon

31plngkQDYL.jpg

Product discription:

1 Pc. GS Tooling Brand New 3/4" Straigh Shank 1/4" x 5.87" High Precision Integral Shank Keyless Drill Chuck for CNC Mill, TiN Coated Jaws
These chucks provide exceptionally high torque - up to three times the gripping strength of conventional drill chuck / taper holder combinations. The design eliminates any possibility of chuck / holder misalignment, and it assures separation safety

Features
High Precision, Premium Tolerance
TiN Coated Jaws For Imporved Life
GS Keyless Drill Chucks designed to achieve the highest accuracy and rigidity possible
AT3 or better taper accuracy
Each holder balanced with Hoffman Machine
Each holder comes with inspection lab report
GS Tooling has developed a line of CNC tooling manufactured with a modified standard drive slot to properly equalize the weight. This change in tool design enables GS Tooling to meet tolerance machine spindles are made to. GS Tooling can run up to 20,000 RPM without putting unneeded stress on the machine spindle.

Unfortunately, it does not say what the size range is.

I did not use a pair of pliers to tighten the pin vise up either. Just finger tight and it worked great.

Boot, all pin vise are not created equal. You have a Starret, presumably a quality product. Metal_Slicer posted a picture of a Harborfreigh identical to one I own and can assure you is a POS suffering from all problems mentioned.

I also have a couple of Starret pin chucks, they have served me well for many years. I can generally get them tight enough with my fingers.

Paul.

Just bought this Sensitive Feed Drill Chuck from EuroTradeUK. Did not cost too much.Will use it to drill 20 thou orifice for the Howell Engine Carbs.Chuck Case not included. Same DIY by Gus to hold chuck and the easily misplaced pin drills.

Proxxon sells pin drills with 3 mm shank suitable for standard Jacob Drill Chucks.

Been using above Proxxon drilling 30 thou holes on the Japanese Sakai with tail stock chuck. 30 thou is about the smallest I can drill on the lathe. I gave up with 20 thou drill bits.

Also bought some from Daiso which is a Japanese S$2 Shop Chain Stores.

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back