Pictures of unique Mill/Lathe setups and use of holding devices.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have learned during my limited experience in this hobby is the simple rule that the machines are the cheap part. The tooling and set up equipment is what gets you in the end. :eek:

No matter what I buy or how much I buy, it isn't enough to do that next job. Someone else said this before me but I have spent way more time building tooling, fixtures and modifications than I have spent on all my "projects". But in the end I find just as much pleasure in figuring out a way to do something as I do in the end product. ;D

Ok now for the next question. Does anyone have a picture of this device being used?

PG-613 Planer Gage with Three Inch Extension Nib and Fitted Wooden Case.jpg

HI this is sumthing I made up to mack up a connecting rod

HPIM0255.jpg

HPIM0258.jpg

HPIM0254.jpg

rcmadness said:
Ok now for the next question. Does anyone have a picture of this device being used?

Sorry, no picture of a planer/shaper gage in use. Them things are/were used with planer or shaper machines, to set the tool height to some given value. Many people here have shapers, but I´d bet that nobody has a planer. They were introduced in 1820ish, HUGE machines, for making large flat surfaces. They were rather common during some 100 years. Metal planers can vary in size from a table size of 30"×72" to 20'×62', and in weight from around 20,000 lbs to over 1,000,000 lbs. No, I don´t want one here, even for free, not even a smaller example...
Today, milling machines and surface grinders are used for what planers once did. They DO still exist, even new, but they´re quite rare.

You could use that tool (in the picture) also for setting tool height on a shaper - if it were rather high, and you needed to set it with close tolerances. I don´t know, but I suspect that none of the lucky shaper owners here have such a tool. There are far simpler ways of setting shaper tool heights...
For some more info, see
http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/MTL3902/MLT3902.htm
near the end of the page.
For a (smallish) planer, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planer_(metalworking)

Thanks for the explanation Cid, doesn't sound like I need to put one of those on my wish list. :big:
I need to work on the more simple things like 1-2-3 blocks. All I have ever use them for is to raise the height of a part being machined. One of these days I will figure out what the tapped holes are for. (I know they hold them together, but I have never needed them held together)

I have a planer gage and I have used it a few times, no pics taken though. The nice thing about them is that if I need to finish a part to a certain thickness, I can set the gage to that thickness with a micrometer and touch the shaper tool on it and set my zero. Quick and simple.

Mine also has the screw-on posts, 1" & 3" long, handy if you need that increment in height.

I've also used it for measuring slots and such by adjusting it to a snug fit and measuring with micrometers, much like adjustable parallels.

One of those tools that isn't used every day but worth having, in my opinion.

If you should decide you need one, I would watch the tool sales and flea markets. I've seen many for sale at a reasonable price. My Starrett was in like-new condition for $10-$15 (don't remember), instead of the $300 or more for new.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back