Small tilting table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted a tilting table I could quickly set up and use for small jobs without disturbing the alignment of the Thiel mill table.

'Elsewhere' I have seen pictures of a simple device that fits in the machine vice, so I made a copy of the idea with the material I had available.
IMG_2451.JPG
The half diameter of the round bar must be less than the height of the vice jaws otherwise it will not be gripped securely, about 7/8" in my case. The piece of 1/2" ally plate is about 4" x 4-1/2", large enough for my purposes. By drilling a hole through the bar, I can secure the table to the bed of the mill as an alternative to holding it in the vice, saving precious head room.
A small bar 7/16" on the other end permits a jack or other means of support to take some of the pressure.
IMG_2452.JPG
The threaded holes are M5 and are spaced to hold a Myford machine vice in either portrait or landscape orientation. Spacer washers help with the alignment and the use of M5 keeps the screw heads below the level of the vice sliding base.
IMG_2453.JPG
I have a digital angle gauge for setting the required angle, close enough for my work. Those with gauge blocks could calculate the angle for a more precise measurement.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I saw, and noted, that same item when it was posted. Haven't made it yet but I do like the idea of the hole through the big end and the clamping bar.

I have a Benchmaster mill and the headroom is really tight.

Thanks for posting!

Pete

Excellent idea for a sine plate! I Love this idea, no need to remove the vise. Just secure the sine vise to a vise and mount parts to sine plate or vise to sine plate. I have been needing a sine plate and this just might be the ticket

Excellent idea for a sine plate! I Love this idea, no need to remove the vise. Just secure the sine vise to a vise and mount parts to sine plate or vise to sine plate. I have been needing a sine plate and this just might be the ticket

Hoorah for the 47th Proposition of Euclid and one really wants 5" or 10" for easy maths.

If you prop a 5" one up by an 1/8th, you approximate the old and still popular Number2 Morse taper. Old Morse must have had some very poor machinists- but that is how the Morse taper was derived originally.

And for those shakey maths- the son of the squaw of the hippopotamus hide is equal to the the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.:hDe:

It's a bit like the adders who couldn't multiply until they had log tables:wall:

:confused:

N

Latest posts

Back