Pictures of unique Mill/Lathe setups and use of holding devices.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadness

Reaction score
Omnimills thread on 123 blocks got me to thinking. I have seen many different types of holding devices in catalogues and I know how some of the work but I am still baffled how others are used. For instance a sin bars, cam holders,etc. Could we use this thread to capture pictures of unique set ups and how these things are to be used. I don't know about you all but I learn best from pictures.

Just a thought

RcMadness

I for one appreciate this thread. I have a lathe and mill and usually spend most of the time on a project trying to figure out how to set it up.
I can't find the workshop calculator referred to in Bogs post on the sine bar. Where is the download section? The file is also missing from the Rapidshare link, but I think I recall Bogs saying he let his subscription expire. Anybody have the workshop calculator?

Chuck in E. TN

I believe the spirit of the thread is taking shape. Thanks to everyone for taking part.

I thought I'd actually add a picture ;)

Here I'm using a sine bar against the vertical face of my mill. I'm setting the angle of the compound slide (pinched from my lathe) to grind a precise-ish angle. (The grinding spindle is pinched from my little homebrew engraver)

angle setting.jpg

Not a mill set-up, but who's counting...

Using the lathe to line bore a headstock for a motorcycle frame. The homebrew boring bar uses a piece of broken & re-ground carbide end mill in a through hole with a couple of locking screw perpendicular to it.

To adjust the cut I zeroed the DTI on the end of the tool, loosened slightly the locking screws then tapped the end of the tool until the DTI read the desired cut. It was surprisingly easy to get a bearing fit.

line boring head stock 2.jpg

BillTodd, I fixed the subject line. All set ups are welcome. I am already learning ;D

Now, what do we use the device in this picture for.

69-102-682.jpg

That´s a spin indexer. You fix the workpiece into it with a collet (5C or ER32), and then you can rotate the workpiece into any angle, in min. 1o steps, that is, you can index it with any angle that is a factor of 360. If you want to divide a full circle (360o) with something that´s not a factor of 360 (such as 7, or 11, or 13, etc.) you need a more sophisticated dividing method. But an awful lot of dividing can be done with that simple device. If you need holes, or flats, etc. spaced say,7 or 11 or 13 degrees apart, or whatever angle that is in even degrees, the spin indexer will deliver. It´s sort of a "digital" rotary table, where the step is one degree.

So basically if you are wanting to cut a fixed position you can use this instead of a rotary table. Per say.

RC,

A spindexer allows you to turn to any fixed point, using full degree settings.
So say you wanted two holes at 37 degrees apart, or a hexagon milling, where each set point can easily be worked out of 360 degs, you can use one of these.

It is a very simple horizontal rotab, without the fine tuning a rotab can give you.

Normally they are for 5C only, but John Stevenson designed one where it can be ER32 as well, and is sold by Arc Euro in the UK.

With a little bit of imagination, it can be used for all sorts of little (or even big) jobs that require a none too fine rotary movement.

I find it easier, now it will fit my vice, for doing rotary angled work, rather than fitting my rotab onto a tilting plate or going the whole hog and getting out the dividing head.

Bogs

Not my set up but this is a unique way of using a mill when your lathe does not have the capacity.

The mill is driving the crankshaft through a 90deg head, the other end of the crank is supported on a pile of assorted blocks and a lathe topslide is mounted to the mills table to give x-y movement so the flywheel can be machined.

SW586.jpg

Jason

Jasonb, Thats the spirit, no job to big. Very interesting set up.

Bogs & Cid, I will keep my eye out for a spindexer. It looks like it might come in handy. Thanks for the explanation.

Bogstandard said:
RC,

A spindexer allows you to turn to any fixed point, using full degree settings.
So say you wanted two holes at 37 degrees apart, or a hexagon milling, where each set point can easily be worked out of 360 degs, you can use one of these.

It is a very simple horizontal rotab, without the fine tuning a rotab can give you.

Normally they are for 5C only, but John Stevenson designed one where it can be ER32 as well, and is sold by Arc Euro in the UK.

With a little bit of imagination, it can be used for all sorts of little (or even big) jobs that require a none too fine rotary movement.

I find it easier, now it will fit my vice, for doing rotary angled work, rather than fitting my rotab onto a tilting plate or going the whole hog and getting out the dividing head.

Bogs

I don't know, I'm trying to save some money to get a new DSLR and you blokes keep coming up with really neat lumps of useful metal I need to buy! :big: Now can we have a break on stuff like this for a while *knuppel2* Please!!!

Vic.

Omnimill said:
I don't know, I'm trying to save some money to get a new DSLR and you blokes keep coming up with really neat lumps of useful metal I need to buy! :big: Now can we have a break on stuff like this for a while *knuppel2* Please!!!

Vic.
:rant: :rant: :rant:

sorry... :hDe: And I sympathize. I know how you feel, being in the very same situation. :shrug:

Omnimill said:

Vic.

Of Course.....your comment implys there is an end to the list of "list of useful bits" that you just HAVE to have in your shop ;D :big:

Dave

Latest posts

Back