Paddle Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume that by "link shaft" you mean the weigh shaft? The slotted rod gives a way to lock the shaft in position, so a reasonable solution. You could also do a loco-style quadrant with slots.

You are right,I did mean the weigh shaft,I just couldn't think of the name at the time.I did think of a quadrant but didn't fancy making the latch,but thanks for your thoughts
Don

This is my version of the reversing lever.
PE19.jpg

not the best ,but simple and it works.
Don

Hi Don,

yes it's simple and works, however will it interfere with the steam connections to the cylinders? I made a similar compromise on my twin marine engine but looking at it for some decided that the original worm gear screw setup was the only way to go. But if it works for you then that's all that matters.

Great thread, watching with interest.

Brian

Yes Brian the pipe work will take a bit of thinking about,I shall try different routes using soft solder wire,and hope to come up with something presentable
Don

It's a runner.
PE20.jpg

Here is my pipe work.
I have a tip for any one setting valves ,make sure that the inlet flange gasket has a hole in the centre :rolleyes: ,Back and fore to the garage to test ,and I couldn't get it right,till I discovered I had forgot to cut the centre hole in one of the inlet gaskets,after cutting the hole she ran like a sowing machine ,forewards and backwards.I'll try to video it later.
I shall make the water pump next and make a base for it ,I have bought a cutting board from Asda ready,no expense spared ;).
Don

Looks great. Thm:Thm:Thm: Will be waiting for the vid.
I have the plans for this also and will be refering to your thread when I get around to building it.

Ron

Thanks Tod & Ron,I want to get the pump finished and the engine bolted to a base first then I will have a go at the video.
Don

Hey Don!
That finish really looks great! What did you do to get that dark color? Or is it just the camera (or Photoshop ;)).

Nick

Glad you like it,Nick, but I'm afraid it is just the lighting,it is all natural colours,
Don

At last all finished.
PE24.jpg

PE23.jpg

PE22.jpg

Ill have a go at the vidio a bit later,Whats next? that is the question ??????
Don

The Video,not good but it proves it does go round.Taken with my iphone,I should have taken it the other way round.

Hope you like it
Don

Last edited:
Paddle Engine part two :)

A bit better.
Don

Hi Don,

great model and pictures too. The pump I assume is to provide feed water to the boiler, which is necessary in a paddle engine installed in a model boat? Have you made an alternative use for it since it appears to have pipework connected to it?

I recommend Rob Roy as your next project, you should complete the running chassis within 3 months.

Brian

Latest posts

Back