Paddle Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don-tucker

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is my new project,I have decided to make the E T Westbury Paddle Engine again as my brother has laid claim to the one we made together 45 years ago and I like it so much.
PE1.jpg

I came across a drawing error early on and wondered if someone could verify a dimension for me, the dim.on the centre line from the crank centre to the cylinder aperture on my drg is 3 1/16" and 2 1/16" and I believe the 2 1/16" should be 2 11/16".
I have worked from the left hand end.
Don

Great start Don :)
Pete
PS If the last one u made is any indication, it will be a post well worth following.

don-tucker said:
I came across a drawing error early on and wondered if someone could verify a dimension for me, the dim.on the centre line from the crank centre to the cylinder aperture on my drg is 3 1/16" and 2 1/16" and I believe the 2 1/16" should be 2 11/16".
Don

Thank You for pointing out the reason why my scribed lines on the metal plates never matched the plans, however carefully I re-traced them.
Marcello

Progress to date
PE3.jpg

Makes me feel a bit inadequate after following the Small V8 from the start,what a superb job,
Don

PE4.jpg

A bit more done,doesn't look much but i had to make the bearings from 1 1/4" sq alum bronze ,a lot of work.
Come on Kvom get back to the paddle engine or I will overtake you without a CNC ;D
Don

Get another photo of the progress to date
PE6.jpg

I have had to make the centre eccentric longer to cater for my mistake in making the crank shaft to short,these things were sent to try us ???
I have to sorce some 60mm rd cast iron now to make the cylinders.
Don

Lovely machining you are producing there Don, following with great interest.

Kind regards,

Ron.

Thanks Ron,much appreciated
Don

Great looking engine so far. I'm following with great interest. It looks like the finished product will have some serious "grunt". Please keep the pictures coming :bow:

Don,
Thanks for the link. I rode one of the Lake Geneva steamers one way and was dissapointed to be on a diesel for the return trip. It was nice to learn one of them was restored back to steam.

I will be watching this with interest as they are really interesting engines.

Dan

I'm also watching yours take shape while trying to find the time to build my own. It's looking every bit as nice as the last one you built.

Ray

Thanks ray,here is the latest to keek you up to date
PE7.jpg

Crossheads,slide valves,big ends.and a few links,I am just making what takes my fancy ,no set order which I mauy regret lateron
Don

Don,

Very nice parts. This will be a beauty. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Really nice engine, I am enjoying the pictures in your build log as well.

I really doubt you'll regret any of those parts from the looks of them. I noticed that this time you have gone with crossheads that match the drawings as opposed to the ones you used on your last engine. Is there any particular reason for this or as you said 'whatever takes my fancy'?

Ray

The thing is Ray ,my brother said that these crossheads are not marine and it was sacrilege,He said he never forgave Mr Westbury,and being only18 at the time I had no say in the matter.So now I am in charge I thought I would have a change anyway the con rods are easier to make. ;D
Don

Don, looks good either way and this way your brother gets his his way and you yours. ;D
I was just curious.

Ray

Latest posts

Back