Paddle Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cast iron came yesterday
PE8.jpg

Thats for 2 cylinders 2 steam chests and the cyl covers.
Started machining today and guess what,the plastic high low gear snapped on the minni mill ,I know,I know i should have gone to belt drive.New gear coming tomorrow.
I have a new Combi boiler coming tomorrow as well,so its that first I'm afraid.
Don

Progressing very slowly
PE9.jpg

Have to make the front covers next,a tricky job methinks.

Since working on the Loco, I'm thinking that a busing and o-ring is an easier solution than a packing gland.

I do plan to finish mine when the loco is done; I'll remake the frames in steel rather than use the aluminum ones.

Keep up the good work.

Kevin,

The only problem with o-rings for glands is that they don't support or lubricate the piston shaft under load, which a correctly adjusted gland packing does.

It only takes a few extra hours to do it right, and fit graphite string glands, also there is no racing in this game, so time shouldn't come into it.

John

Yes It will be glands and packing for me.
Come on Kevin,I thought we had a race on this one,CNC v Manual ;)

thanks Ron,I have been doing all sorts of things in between and also to cold out the garage,but I hope to get cracking now except for 2 weeks off for a hol in Zante.
Don

Work to date, not much I know seems to be going dead slow to stop,I'll have to open the valve a bit more
PE10.jpg

I'll get the guide bar brackets fixed on next and that will be the cylinders finished then start bolting them to the frames,a big moment.
Don

That was a whole bunch of "whittlin" ! :big:

That looks great Don! :bow: :bow:

Yes do open the valve a bit! ;D

Dave

Thanks guys ,I'll have to see what i can do
Don

Nice work Don :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

A single cylinder walking beam sidewheel setup with a watertube boiler mounted amidship in a big old aluminum canoe has been one of those on again/off again pipe dreams of mine for about 20 years now.... I even had some stuff collected for it before the big D (sadly, all gone to pay bills)....
Maybe someday I'll hit the lotto, hopefully before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Bit more to show
PE12.jpg

PE11.jpg

I feel it's coming together now
Don

This is my latest progress,con rods made and fitted,so next we start the motion work,still a lot to do.The trouble is I have to much else much on my plate.
PE13.jpg

Still it's coming on
Don

Last edited:
Wow, I just caught up with this build. This is some really nice work! I think you have added another engine to the must build list :)

Thanks Brian,its a pleasure to make this engine,I started making one 50 yeas ago and my brother finished it and kept it.So making one for myself.
Don

I started this engine over a year ago and was about 2/3 done when I put it aside to start on the locomotive build. Now that I've had more machining experience I know quite a few parts I'll redo when I get back to it.

If the engine is just for display and not for powering a boat, the featherin paddle wheels could be omitted; these look to be the hardest pieces to make. The same goes for the water pump; I'd probably opt for an injector.

Latest posts

Back