open crank vertical engine lubrication

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourstroke

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone tell me how open crank vertical engines lubricate the gudgeon pin and little end of the conrod
I'm planning another set of castings and need to know the best or accepted way to do this
Thanks
Dougie

On Marine engines there is usually an oil cup on the crosshead and a long spout oil can is used to drip oil into the cup. Of course, it also drips oil all over the rest of the engine.

The verticals that I have don't make any provision for oiling the little end though these are all enclose crankcase engines being an IHC and two ball hopper monitors.

I also have an Allman to build where the cylinder is at the bottom and crank above, the oiler drips oil down the sid eof the cylinder from above and I would think some of that will find its way into the piston. You can see the oiler arrangement of this one by Heller Davis.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJGOSBTv5mg[/ame]

Whats the engine you are thinking of getting? Did you see Colin Dix has some casting sets for sale?

Hi Jason, I hoped you would reply.
I'm in the process of making the patterns for a twin cylinder open crank vertical engine
Its based on some videos I saw on youtube of a frisco standard marine engine
mine will have spark plugs rather than ignitors' I will post some pics of the patterns later
I saw the casting sets for sale and fancied the Holt but dont have the dosh at the moment
Regards
Dougie

Here are some pics of the patterns, i still have the top bearing halfs to make and perhaps a gearbox, but I may cut it from solid

My thoughts for oiling the gudgeon pin is to make the pin hollow and fit an oiler to the side of the cylinder to (hopefully) get some oil into the little end but that sounds and probably will be, complicated
Dougie

PICT2909.jpg

PICT2910.jpg

PICT2911.jpg

PICT2912.jpg

PICT2913.jpg

PICT2914.jpg

Will look forward to seing that one progress, I have always liked the one that Shelf Pet Models do. Don't know of anyone who has made it tat I could ask for you.

J

Back