Open Column Launch Engine from Kit

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm...That tight, eh? :-\
Well, heat will ruin the saw... I wonder if it'll ruin the holder. Is it heat-treated?
Drill the bolt out, or at least drill the center of the bolt out with a small-diameter drill, all the way through. The center hole will let the bolt collapse a bit, and stretch a bit, relaxing it's hold on the saw blade.
Don't feel bad about loading the slitting saw backwards, I bet everyone's done it once.

WD40 is only useful for incinerating wasp nests. The penetrant of choice is Kroil. PBBlaster is a poor alternative but may be all you can get locally.

Does the arbor have a flat on it? If it does, lock the arbor in the bench vise so it can't turn and attack the outboard part with a strap wrench after it's soaked in penetrant in a warm spot for a while. If you don't have a strap wrench, some large adjustable pliers with rubber/leather padded jaws might work. Watch your hands. A slip is likely and you don't want to slip into the saw teeth and injure yourself.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of just getting a new saw and arbor. If the saw was run backwards, most of the teeth will have been dulled and you probably aren't set up to resharpen it. If you do buy new, don't discard the old one just yet. Some rainy Saturday when you're bored, you can use it as a test piece to refine your skills at unsticking frozen joints - a handy skill in this hobby (and life in general).

Hint for the next arbor. Replace the slotted screw that secures the blade with a hex-head screw so you have something to get a wrench on next time this happens. Mine are all like that.

vlmarshall said:
Is it heat-treated?

You're asking an ijit? :big:

Thanks Vernon.

Well our 'hero' has managed to dry his eyes. And after a long search around the house...found his vise grip. Oh yes...our 'hero' owns tools. It's the proper use of them that seems to escape him.

A vise, the vise grip, and a small sledge hammer (a surprisingly light tap)...the saw is loose.

So on we go.

Still Rof} at myself.

Just saw your post Marv...we seem to be a little out of sync.

Wish I'd seen it earlier...I might have put something between the jaws and the arbor.

I didn't have any of the tools you mentioned (which does not conflict with my earlier statement of owning tools). And, as you can see...I went ahead. Yes...some damage...but I was prepared to purchase another set anyway.

The only real concern is the saw itself. How would I know if the damage is such that a new saw is called for? Probably just the fact that it went wrong way?

The arbor had a flat head hex socket. Not slotted. Not that that helped. Your tip for a hex-head screw is very good.

Thanks.

Keep the socket-head cap screw, it'll resist being rounded into uselessness when you accidentally run the bolt head into something during a cut.
Toss the saw. What arbor size was it, 1.00"? What diameter? What thickness? Gimmie your address.

vlmarshall said:
Toss the saw. What arbor size was it, 1.00"? What diameter? What thickness? Gimmie your address.

No way man. I know too much about you. Remember? :big:

Besides, it gives me that extra impetus to order some other goodies too. :)

What a cheesy try to get my address.

(Seriously...I appreciate it. Thanks.)

Rof}

Fine, be that way. ;D I tried!

(rant)
Don't get burnt on shipping like I did a few weeks ago, with mcMaster-Carr.
I was ordering some 1/8" copper tubing. 3 feet of the stuff, more than enough, was something like $3.25 , and 6 feet was $3.75 ... so, of course, I order the extra, "free" length. I'm ordering through work, so I didn't get to see the shipping charges before hand.
Big mistake, shipping for a six-foot mailing tube was an extra $7.50 ! :rant:
No wonder the extra length was so cheap. So much for getting something for nothing.
The worst part, they could have just folded the tubing into a smaller tube, and it would have arrived straighter than when UPS brought it to me. :-\

(endrant)

vlmarshall said:
I tried!

Don't get burnt on shipping like I did a few weeks ago,

If you want to call that a try...'Mr. Guinness offer'...I may have to modify my opinion of you. :big:
up? down?

re: shipping...don't forget handling. I made the mistake of ordering some stuff from a company...and then oops...forgot one little item and ordered that separately.

And for the price of the saws (yes...ruin the cheap stuff before I ruin the better stuff)...I should have ordered an extra. Extras?

haha, "Down"s the safer option. Actually, I'm out of Guinness, myself. :eek:

Order some saws in various thicknesses.... and a vise stop...and indicator holder...and an edgefinder...maybe some gauge pins...a set of 1-2-3 blocks...a little sine bar.. a machinist's square...Hey, spending your money is easy. :D

vlmarshall said:
Order some saws in various thicknesses.... and a vise stop...and indicator holder...and an edgefinder...maybe some gauge pins...a set of 1-2-3 blocks...a little sine bar.. a machinist's square...Hey, spending your money is easy. :D

Oo. Oo. A vise stop. That'll get Marv off my back. But he won't respect me for it. :)

Zee,

I'm enjoying this thread. While I'm also a newbie, I have more experience with the mechanical side of things. Even so, there are still times I do the dumb things, too. The fact that you're still at it, and not afraid to post the mistakes as well as the successes keeps it interesting and more "real". Seeing some projects that appear from thin air, seemingly self created doesn't help as much as seeing it come together slowly, warts and all. Keep at it!

rleete said:
The fact that you're still at it, and not afraid to post the mistakes as well as the successes keeps it interesting and more "real".

Thanks rleete. I really appreciate it. We all learn from our mistakes...so why shouldn't others. It's something I tell people at work...if you boo-boo'd...own up to it. We'll learn from it...you'll be respected for it.

I remembered a couple.....

Learn from others mistakes!,,,,you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!
;D :big:

I want to make NEW mistakes...not one of those old ones....... ;D

Dave

steamer said:
I remembered a couple.....
Learn from others mistakes!,,,,you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!
;D :big:
I want to make NEW mistakes...not one of those old ones....... ;D

Rof} I'm going to take those to work.

I made a new rotary valve sans grooves. No old mistakes...no new mistakes!!
Now for a new saw..."'To wait. To wait."

Zee,
I made a lot of the same mistakes when I started. I had no forum or mentor. I bought alot of books. The bedside reader(all 3), Machine Shop Practices and other tomes of reference. With those as my guide I was thoroughly lost!

Now that we have this great forum we can help you with the problems we all have faced in pursuing this exacting, exasperating and ultimately exhilarating endeavor!

If I was a betting man I bet your favorites are full of every machinist bookmark you can find. You will never stop learning and when you look back 1, 2 or 5 years from now on this engine you will ask yourself: "Did I really have so many issues with this?" Then you will see another person, similar to yourself, asking these questions and you will be in a position to give the hard earned advice you learned not only from here, but also from your "wall of shame".

Keep it up. I am posting my faults too (like almost setting the house on fire) in the hopes of leaving a legacy of posts that others can learn from. Not everyone is as good as Marv! (just kidding Marv)

We no longer have the "mentor" available in this era. They have all retired or moved on. We need to find new ways to learn and without someone over your shoulder going "if you do that it's going to hurt!" we sometimes stumble.

We are all here to help you along and you in turn will provide this same service to the future entrants to our little slice of heaven.

Waiting expectantly for your next post,
Sean

Seanol,

You make a great point.....This mode of communication wasn't even a concept just a few years ago...my how we have all grown!

When I started out turning cranks for fun, I was working as an engineer for a highly respected machine tool manufacturer in Worcester Massachusetts. That was a serious blessing as there was little information on doing any of this. That blessing came in the form of two manuafacturing engineers who worked their way up from apprentice to master machinists and then to manufacturing engineering. These two guys routed all the new jobs through the plant....they were the ones deciding on how it was going to be made and in what order.
For perspective...this plant was a thirteen acre machine shop....soup to nuts.
Now not all the things I did in my youth were terribly bright...but I did one thing and that was befriending these two. To my benefit, they took this wise arse punk kid under their wing.

I learned more about running a lathe from those two than any book I have ever showed me....and I have a room full of them...

John and Mark, where ever you are these days.. .....Thank you very much!

Dave

SandyC said:
Just an observation on the last PRACTICE PART ;D ;D.......which may or may not have a bearing on the outcome....but, which way were you running your mill spindle when using your slitting saw?

Hi SandyC...I just wanted to come back around and thank you (and your eagle eye) again for taking the interest and time in my project, and more importantly, for taking the time to ask your question. In thinking about what happened...I would have thought the problem was how I had chucked the part and very likely I would have done the same thing again with the saw.

This is just another example of how the members on this forum are so helpful.

Sean...I know what you mean...the day will come when I'll forget what I didn't know.

Dave...you're right...it's the people. When I retire, it won't be the work or the projects I'll remember...it'll be the people. I'm still in love with my 4th grade teacher :).

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm still in love with my 4th grade teacher :).

Me too,

Where are you Miss Towler ? Where are you Miss Towler ? Where are you Miss Towler ? Where are you Miss Towler ? Where are you Miss Towler ? Where are you Miss Towler ? ......................................

Best Regards
Bob

Seanol said:
... I bought alot of books. The bedside reader(all 3), Machine Shop Practices and other tomes of reference...

Ha, I just got around to buying those three, when MSC had a 45% sale. Nice books!

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm still in love with my 4th grade teacher.

Maryak said:
Me too,

Where are you Miss Towler ? ......................................

I didn't know you were in my class. And that wasn't her name. :big:

now this is getting wierd.....besides her name was clearly Ms Metzger!
Dave

:big: ;D

Back