One more ball turner in progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
Decided to start building a ball turner for my lathe. Based on the multiple build ideas out there on the web and influenced by our own Divided He ad!

Started with some stock. Turned it to size and faced it off:

stock 1.jpg

At this point my batteries died in my camera but I carried on for awhile last night. I sliced off a piece of the stock to start machining the base. Faced it off and called it a night. Went to the store this morning and got batteries and started again.

base 1.jpg

I am really bad at taking pictures during my builds... so I completely forgot to grab some shots until I ended up at this point:

base 2.jpg

So that is where I am at. I am taking a break to work on some other projects and I hope to get back to it tonight or tomorrow.

Eric

Good to see you making chips Eric ;D ............ sure Ralph will be pleased too ........... I'm gonna have to join you in making a new ball turner for my Boxford lathe as the one for my 9"x20" is a completely different fitting.

CC

I find myself intrigued Eric ;D

I can't wait to see your design.... it looks interesting already!

Ralph.

I can't wait to see your Idea...!
Cheers
Paolo

Got some more shop time in today.

Finished up the bottom portion of the base. Added the 2 mount holes to attach the base to the cross slide.

base 7.jpg

Test fit it on the lathe

test 1.jpg

Then I took the other chunk of stock and faced it off.

base 4.jpg

Shaped the bottom of the upper base so it will fit the bottom part of the base.

base 6.jpg

I took the piece out flipped it around and cleaned the top portion up (forgot to take a pic). Then did a test fit again.

test 2.jpg

Brought the top part over to the mill. Added the slot for the tool, counter bored the center hole (for the bolt that connects the two pieces), and added the 2 access holes for the mounting bolts. Again, I forgot to take pics for the during. But here is the result test fitted to the lathe:

test 3.jpg

The access holes are so the base can be mounted and unmounted to the lathe without taking it apart:

base 8.jpg

I still have some work to do to the base... added the screws to hold the tool in place and drill and tap a hole for the lever to spin the ball turner. Then I have to make the L shaped tool holder itself. Maybe tomorrow.

Eric

Eric
It almost appears that you've been rummaging in my tool box...LOL. You're design is exactly how I built mine to fit the mini lathe. The only difference I see is that I added two new mounting holes to the top of the cross slide a bit further inboard. You'll really enjoy that tool.

One tip....
Before you mount the cutting tool, put the L in the base and clamp it as if you're ready to cut a sphere. Then using what ever centering technique you prefer, center on the base. This will make sure that when you move over to locate the slot for the cutting tool, you are working from the point of rotation. The set screws always push the L to one side and this method compensates for it.

Steve

Eric,

It is looking great! I really like my ball turner, though I haven't used it much. I certainly is handy to have around when the need for a ball or radius come up!

I was back in class yesterday, and talking to the instructor mentioned all of the discussions/builds of ball turners going on here. I also mentioned Marv's and Gail's discussions of step turning. He agreed that step turning/filing is often quicker than setting up the turner, and depending on how easy the turner is to adjust may be more accurage as well.

I think I may try to build a turner that mounts on my compound, rather than on the cross slide, at some point.

Before I do so I'm going to try turning a ball with the step method, as my lathe has a DRO (should make it easier). The first ball will replace the plastic handle on the QCTP.

Wow artrans,

Nice find. I'd say that is the Cadilac of ball turners. He did that 3 years ago. :eek:

And I have a Logan lathe, so I might just have to make one for my Logan. I've got one for the Grizzly. Also want to make one for my Sherline. It'd be nice to make micro mini balls. :big:

Bernd

I bought the bearings thats as far as I got that was the easy part last year I must I don't even want to think about how much money I spend trying make balls I could have bought ever ball in ever size 10 times over I bought that handridge ball turner on ebay that takes about 32 hours to hook up to the lathe because its a so called fits all but don't fit what I have very good. anyway another day in the life of me. I would say it got me by the balls ;D ;D

Pete
Nice looking. I would like a PDF of those if you can get permission from mike. just send me a private message or email me my address is [email protected] thanks Cliff

Pete me too, if you get permission i have got myford S7 so that would be great, save messing about getting the centre height right, or in my case wrong!
Cheers [email protected]

Here's a way of getting the center at the exact height you need.

ball2.jpg

When you get this far just put in the piece you are going to use to hold the cutter. Put in a sharp center in the tailstock and scribe a line. Mill to the line, plus the thickness of the cutter you are going to use and your cutter is set at center height.

Bernd

Personally, as nice as the other one looks and as well as it has been crafted it is IMHO overkill (Though admittedly I have made a sparkly one! :-[ ) the standard turner from Steve's plans works perfectly well :)

Eric.... I would like to see your finished turner :) I bet without all the time taken to screw the tool post over you will have the ball cut in half the time!

It's not going to give you any more accuracy on the size, it still has to be measured by rule or vernier the set the radius... Either that or returned to the centre every time and the turns of the screw counted to use the thread pitch to calculate the radius you are setting!!! how laborious?!

It may well be thought of as a little more rigid with having a dove tail.... But it's not a necessity, it may be thought to hold the cutter down better? But does it rely on near perfect machining and the very finely adjusted pressure on the gib, or do you still have to clamp the gib down tight to the tool post to make sure you get no chatter on your workpiece? Personally I think it is just a preference of the builder... :)

The tool post clamping method as per the original design is more than adequate.... It's held my cutter ridged enough to cut many, many shapes into and out of stainless and a 50mm hemisphere in hardened steel.... No problem (got the pic's and video to prove it) ;)

The finish on the cut is more about how slowly and controlled the operator can move the tool through it's cutting cycle. As long as he has the tool post set correctly....turret firm and smooth, tool post flat to it's seat and tight on the screws! ;)

Basically, Eric... Your build is a really nice version and it will perform as well as any that have been added to your thread, as long as you make the tool post correctly ;) ;D

So, let's have it finished ehh.... Prove I'm not just spouting cr@p!! :D

Bernd.... I still think it's wise to use a piece of bar cut to a sharp point in your chuck so that you get the centre correct.... not all tailstocks are as accurate as yours ;) ;D
(To anyone reading... I'm not being rude!!! I've had this chat with Bernd before.... So I'm sure he's ok with my statement?! :p )

Well that's my piece said.... ;D

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back