One more ball turner in progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up the insert yesterday. I am hoping to get it done very soon. I have a few more motorcycle parts to finish off first.

Thanks for the kind words and tips Ralph!

Eric

Divided He ad said:
Bernd.... I still think it's wise to use a piece of bar cut to a sharp point in your chuck so that you get the centre correct.... not all tailstocks are as accurate as yours ;) ;D
(To anyone reading... I'm not being rude!!! I've had this chat with Bernd before.... So I'm sure he's ok with my statement?! :p )
Ralph.

Oh Darn Ralph. I used the wrong end of the machine again. :big:

Ya, your right I should have used the chuck end. Oh well, live and learn.

On the next ball turner. The one for the Sherline so I can micro machine mini balls. :big:

Bernd

P.S. I'm OK with anybody's statement. I have a very thick skin. The best have tried to get through. ;D

On the next ball turner. The one for the Sherline so I can micro machine mini balls

Shouldn't that be micro balls too? I already used the 'mini' term for the 7x12 size of turner :p ... isn't the shirline smaller? oh it's all very confusing ???

Oh well, whatever.... I forgot to copyright the term 'mini' anyway :big:

Good luck with your little balls.......

Ralph.

P.S.

Eric.... Have you finished yet!!??? :big: (only kidin... take your time ;) )

Hey Rleete who said Ralph was nice. :big:

Ralph,
It must be our English. I'll mini machine micro balls just doesn't sound right. :big:

Good luck with your little balls.......

You been talking to the wife behind my back again. ;D :big: :big:

Bernd

Peter Neill said:
I got the plans for that from Mike (Holescreek) a few years back, and made one for my Myford.

I had to re-draw the design, as the Myford has a lower centre height than the logan, and this meant quite a lot of changes, including a smaller bearing.
All the features of the original are there, but nothing is the same.
Also, the Myford needed a rectangular mounting plate to fit the T-slots, which makes it nice and stable. It's scary smooth in the cut.
As far as I know (according to Mike) I was the first one to make this from the 100's of plan copies he sent out.

Here is my version of it. I have the design drawn up in Solidworks as a 3-D model, but could AutoCAD or PDF it if anyone wants a copy (with Mikes permission).

I have looked at your pics and Mike's as well many many times and for the life of me I just can't figure out how that bearing works. How can this be done with just one tapered roller bearing. Does the center pin (bolt) not rub somewhere ?

Mike,

Very nice ball turner, it is a neat design. Welcome to the site!

Everyone else,

This thread has been hijacked. Please keep the discussion to the original project. To discuss Mike's ball turner, please start a new thread.

Eric

Latest posts

Back