Okay, now I understand

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMO

Working on it...
Reaction score
I have a Jet round column mill that I picked up last summer and have been learning to use it. I am not unhappy with it since it cost very little and has had very little use. Not to mention I am just a beginner.

Since I work at a college, I took advantage of an opportunity to take a machining class. We started out on the lathe and today I worked on a Bridgeport mill for the first time. Wow! What a difference. The finish was amazing, no chatter, being able to use the knee to raise the work up, the DRO's, power feed, etc.

I have been reading this and other forums trying to educate myself on machining over the past couple of years and I always wondered why Bridgeports and similar mills were so sought after and recommended. Now I understand.

I guess it is time to start saving my money for the real deal.

What a difference a couple of hours make.

Mike

Don't underestimate what you can do with a round column mill. Up until the beginning of this year I used one since 1970. Sure they have their inconveniences but when money and space are at a premium sometimes a round column mill fits the bill.
gbritnell

I also have a round column mill. And I have used Bridgeports in the past. The difference is like that between a bicycle and a Cadillac. Both will get you to the same place but one will get you there in style. Don't discount what your mill can do. I turn out some precision parts on mine and it serves me well. As you gain machining knowledge and experience you will use your mill to greater advantage.

Like George, I used to use a round column mill/drill for all my work, and for many years it did sterling service.

Only for the last three years have I used an 836 mill, a sort of mini bridgeport.

I did everything on my old mill, and the only limitation was in my mind.

Here is a picture that I have shown before, with a 7 foot long chopper frame mounted onto it, having the rear wheel spindle holders machined out.

7.jpg

Your only limitation with that machine is yourself.

John

While it's possible to do amazing work with a round-column mill, it sure is a lot easier with a knee mill. If I were just setting up a shop, I would love to have a Jet JVM-836. They are, however, relatively expensive.

Whenever I think of blaming my inadequacies on my machine, I remember the Mick Andrews incident. Now Mick was the world champion trials rider from the UK in the early 70's. He came to Rhode Island to put on a trials school and workshop. Of course he rode in a class by himself. He overheard me say "if I had a Bultaco like Mick, I could ride over those boulders too". He said "give me your bike", (a basic little cottage-built Dalesman) and proceeded to ride my bike straight down off a huge boulder and land effortlessly. The rest of us were crashing on our heads. I concluded that it wasn't the machine that was limiting.
So, I try to make good parts with what I've got.

I won't be getting rid of the round column anytime soon and I do enjoy it, I was just amazed at the difference. I need to work on developing my skills as I know I am just starting down this path. Lots of fun though.

Thanks

Mike

The wife and I took the Prius to visit my brother and his wife last week for a BBQ. My brother and I were promptly sent to the grocery store to pick up some needed items. Naturally, he wanted to drive me there in his new Corvette. What a difference. The ride was amazing. The sound system was incredible. The acceleration was phenomenal. I always wondered why people liked Corvettes so much. Now I know.

We made it to the grocery store. Bought the needed items and headed back. We had beer to drink, the wives were happy and the BBQ went on. Interestingly, the results would have been exactly the same had we driven the Prius. Oh, it would have cost considerably less but what the heck, we went in style and in today's world, that's what counts the most. ;)

Right?

Latest posts

Back