oil to lubricate

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawijt

Reaction score
Hello friends;

I'am wondering what kind of oil do you use in your engines , oilers , ect.....
Now I'am using sewing machine oil in the oilers of my Little Wonder Engine.
But it is really fast gone away. I don't want to break that little beautifull engine,so I hope for some tips from you guys.
I have oil for the motor from my BUELL motorcycle. But I'am a little scared that this oil is too thick & don't go down in the oilers too lubricate the crankshaft.

Foto650-RS8GGDKR.jpg

So if you have some good tips , I can buy what I need.
Thanks already

Best regards

Barry

ME thinks light weight not detergent oil.
Hopefully some of the hit and miss guys will chime in.
Tin

sewing machine oil is very thin and not really suitable. It depends on where you need the oil. Plain bearings will most probably work ok with automotive oil but I would use something like a 10-40 oil and it should be ok for cylinder lubricant. These engines are lightly loaded and in some cases a drop of 2 stroke oil in the fuel wont hurt to provide a bit of upper cylinder lubrication

Get a jug of 30 weight Shell Tellus. It's a hydraulic oil, and good for what ails ya!

It's my oil of choice for ways as well, and is detergent-free.

On my Hit and Miss engines I use straight gear oil (AG 90) with no EP additives for the bearings and other oiling points, this oil will wick through a wick feed oil cup, and is suitable for bronze bearings, some oils with additives will damage bronze bearings.

As mentioned Hydraulic oil is also suitable.

Thanks for the tips. If there are other persons with some tips......

Latest posts

Back