Observations on machining---The things I find most difficult---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob---I have been a ticketed welder for many years---no, let me rephrase that---I had my 2 position ticket many years ago. There, thats better. I have my own Lincoln stick welder and an oxy acetylene rig that are both old enough to vote, (by a large margin) and a new mig that I bought 5 years ago when I was building my current hotrod.

Brian,

"There are many roads to Rome" That is a very true statement.
If your get what you want out of your lathe or mill, avoid shrapnel and still have enough fingers to play the piano, how ever you did it is OK. As time and experience progress.....so will you. Your techniques will improve and get more sophisticated, and your intimidation will transform into respect for the equipment and confidence in your own ability.

It's no differant than getting your welding ticket or your drivers license.....after twenty years of turning cranks, I learn something every time I turn the lathe on. Just be a sponge and keep asking "Why?"

Best to you.
Dave

What a great thread! I'd be happy to take 3 times as long and accomplish half as much as you all did.

The video was great. But I have to tell you...I wasn't looking at the part...I was trying to see as as much of the hands making the part as I could. That's where the experience, knowledge, and art is.

If there's one thing you all could do for the newbie...it's to show more of your hands...the manipulation of the tools...the how...not the what.

Thanks.

For my threading video this might help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjUfWq9j6fA[/ame]

It takes a soft touch on the controls and a deliberate execution
of engagement and disengagement. Nothing that any average
split personality isn't capable of.
:big:

Rick

Very helpful. Exactly what I'm looking for. It explained a lot of things to me. Thanks very much.

I was working in a machine shop back in the early 70's and I ran across a job that showed me what threading was all about now I had did a lot of different threading job's so I was pretty comfortable with threading every thing from brass to fiberglass pipe ( always wash your hands before you go to the restroom or you will know it ) but I had to make a water valve stem it had 6 double acme threads on a 3/4" brass shaft. To cut the threads you had to cut three threads and go back and split the threads that you just cut and cut threads again. The only lathe that the shop I worked in had that would cut 3 threads per inch was a 24" Lodge and Shipley that was older than Noah and wouldn't run very slow along with the slop in the lathe and the huge 3-jaw chuck it got pretty harry but I got it made without destroying the shaft or killing my self. Cliff

Brian,one little tip I picked up along the way somewhere:When you mount your "to be made parallel"
piece in the vise,put a piece of round stock horizontally between the work and the moving jaw.Then tap the work with the knockchrometer,and you will find it sits nice and flat.

Latest posts

Back