novice built engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobeard

Reaction score
Started a build last year and soon found out i was in trouble with the valves so built a few wobblers and kept reading threads on here and looking how other people handled and held work for different operations. So wanted to build something that looked like a mill engine but realized that without a mill and other equipment i was going to have to change some items and some things weren't going to be what you expect to see on a mill engine i thought i was going to be in trouble when it came to the valve and valve chest but with a lot of hours with a file i seem to have managed it and this is what i ended up with.

didnt have my camera up untill now anyway it ran so time to tidy up

so made a base for it then started to tidy the bolts and put some paint on it

the crank housing i would have liked to be part of the bed but it isnt going to happen untill i collect more equipment.I realized i was going to have some problems here with some form of support for the conrod i tried to make a support but couldnt get it quiet right with tooling i had to hand so i made another cylinder end cap which gave me room to put a 1/2"long bush in to try to give it support anyway when the flywheel was turned it didnt then try to lock up the cylinder by forcing the conrod up or down

The valve seal housings are a bit out of shape as they were hand filed and the elbow on the valve was because it looked like i wasnt going to get the eccentric in line but now its done there is plenty of room to move the eccentric up and take the elbow out for a nomal coupling

lol bit of a wobbly flywheel too i havn't cut the valve chest bolts off yet as i have a slight leak on there and may need to replace the cover with thicker material or need to add more screws waiting for some bolts to get rid of the cap screws out of the flywheel then mount it on a wooden base it was made from an old ford focus rear brake cylinder and the flywheel was a damaged acetylene regulator.Anyway not the best engine but learnt from it enjoyed doing it and ended up with something that does run and sort of looks like a mill engine goal now is to try and build something and learn to build better next engine think im going to try a beam engine.

i dont have a problem with it locking up i said i put a long bush in it to give more support so it didnt lock up

Last edited:
Very good effort, nobeard.

Some years ago it was the norm for most model engineers, certainly in the UK, to make their models with the lathe as their only machine tool. Milling was done on a vertical slide fixed to the cross slide. The advent of cheap import tools has changed the way of life for us for the better (easier? - well perhaps).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back