nominal od of round stock to make 6ba studs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, google is just not my friend today. i find all the proper drill and clearance drill sizes online but cannot find the proper od for a piece of brass or mild steel to make a few 6ba studs from using a die. i have it for what i call in the US as standard imperial sizes but BA is not very standard here.

anyone have a chart or a good website? i will thank you till you are paid better if you do :)

BA is a pain it so close to USA standard.
The pipe is worst. Try having Japanese, British and German all have there own sizes.
I use a good American thread tap .

Dave

well, google is just not my friend today. i find all the proper drill and clearance drill sizes online but cannot find the proper od for a piece of brass or mild steel to make a few 6ba studs from using a die. i have it for what i call in the US as standard imperial sizes but BA is not very standard here.

anyone have a chart or a good website? i will thank you till you are paid better if you do :)

That's an excellent engine build article Charles, must have taken many hours to take and edit pictures and text writing.

Marcus

A difficult to use chart as-is since it is sorted by diameter. Also, the 0.110" diameter is the major diameter of the thread, which is what you would start with for single-pointing. For die threading, LMS recommends reducing the major diameter by 10% (and chamfering the end 30°):

6BA Rod Size.png

Just a couple of thou in this case, but it will make a difference in the quality of the threads and the difficulty in using the die.

Here is a link to the LMS Machinist Calculator page (select the link for "Rod Size for Die Threading" link):

Calculator Menu - LittleMachineShop.com

Since the calculator doesn't include BA as a standard, you need to use the other chart to determine the major diameter and TPI.

Charlie

A difficult to use chart as-is since it is sorted by diameter. Also, the 0.110" diameter is the major diameter of the thread, which is what you would start with for single-pointing. For die threading, LMS recommends reducing the major diameter by 10% (and chamfering the end 30°):
.............................Charlie

Slight Correction
LMS recommends reducing the major diameter by 10% of the Pitch
The pitch for 6 BA is ~47 TPI or about 21 thou ( .021) so 10 % , or .002" is the reducing factor to get a smooth thread.
Rich

Good references Charlie !

Slight Correction
LMS recommends reducing the major diameter by 10% of the Pitch
The pitch for 6 BA is ~47 TPI or about 21 thou ( .021) so 10 % , or .002" is the reducing factor to get a smooth thread.
Rich

Good references Charlie !

Thanks for catching my miss, Rich!

I also "re-found" these thread charts; not as complete a list as the chart in coulsea's link, but each of the standards are on a separate chart:

Thread Data Charts

Charlie

Charlie, Your last reference-Thread Data Charts =contain some of the information I have been seeking for years on the net, but never found. Thank You !
They are like the Van Keuren Tables for Gear making.

Rich

Thank you all very much. good to have a printout of the version found in the downloads section here to keep in the shop but the link to LMS is also very nice. thank you for this information.

wanted to say thank you and the studs were easily made with the information you all provided.

but now i find i need to make a few different size ba countersunk screw head screws else i will be paying 20.00 US just for shiping of 25 little bitty screws in each size i need. and will probably take weeks to arrive.

so now my question is: where can i find information on the major outside dia of the screw head itself? on the angle ill just copy the angle of my countersink cutters. just dont know how big to make the heads

wanted to say thank you and the studs were easily made with the information you all provided.

but now i find i need to make a few different size ba countersunk screw head screws else i will be paying 20.00 US just for shiping of 25 little bitty screws in each size i need. and will probably take weeks to arrive.

so now my question is: where can i find information on the major outside dia of the screw head itself? on the angle ill just copy the angle of my countersink cutters. just dont know how big to make the heads

Hi
The following is from the BA Spec sheets - Hope that helps
Mike
1639215035841.png

1639215035841.png

Latest posts

Back