Making small studs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In May 1994 Model Engineer mag, Don Unwin described his method of making small studs, bolts and nuts (0BA down to 8BA) with a few simple bits of tooling. Some time afterwards I made the arbor and a couple of holders.

Fast forward to now and I needed some studs for my present project, but I didn't have the correct size holder. Studs can be made from lengths of screwed rod, but they are not the correct way and with the described tool, the correct way doesn't take very long.
Stud holder parts.JPG

In the picture, the dimensions of the stud holder are shown. My holders are changed slightly: The outboard end of the stud thread has a 1 thread clearance to ensure the embryo stud sits square on the arbor; I've turned the outboard ends down to round, this possibly makes access easier, but is more pleasing to the eye!
Stud holder parts.JPG

Here can be seen a stud after having the second thread put on.
Stud embryo.JPG

Two 6BA studs completed
Studs 6BA.JPG
Two 4BA studs completed
Studs 4BA.JPG

I can't show the complete article here because I would probably be infringing copyright and a moderator of the ME forum watches here, but if anyone wants a copy please send me a PM.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Back