No skills Charlotte, NC, USA

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by DCP, Jan 25, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jan 25, 2019 #1

DCP

DCP

DCP

At age 72, I've probably been fascinated with machining for at least 60 years. I now have machines but zero experience with using them. Well, I do know how to turn them on! My interests are primarily small IC and steam engines though anything miniature fascinates me. I would appreciate any links to completely basic info, for the totally ignorant, on how to set up and use a lathe and mill .

TorontoBuilder likes this.
  2. Jan 25, 2019 #2

goldstar31

goldstar31

goldstar31

Haggis Breeder
    Why not Google, Gadgetbuilder.com and follow his recommendations not only for his own tooling but follow his recommended web sites.

Obviously there are lots more but John Moran and his recommendations should be more than enough for getting the wheels to turn and cut something.

Enjoy

from Norman - an even more ancient old guy at 88+

3. Jan 25, 2019 #3

Asm109

Asm109

Asm109

4. Jan 25, 2019 #4

Rongee

Rongee

Rongee

Member HMEM Supporter

Hi,

I guess at 67 I'm a mere youngster compared to a couple of you, but I'm also just getting started as I head into retirement in a few months. I've got plenty of high falootin' ideas on what I'd like to do, but like DCP, I think it's best to get past the "turn them on" stage. Actually, I'm at the "researching what to buy" stage. Leaning towards Sherline right now, but there seem to be several other choices as well. Prices are up a little bit right now because of the tariff war, so I'm going to wait a couple of months just to see if things return to normal, and figure out if there are better choices than Sherline. Besides, I have to clean up my shop. I primarily have woodworking tools right now, but have always wanted to work with metal. You guys are a great resource, and I look forward to participating more as I get things moving. Thanks. Ron

5. Jan 27, 2019 #5

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thank you Norman. I studied his tail stock cam lock project this evening. I'm don't clearly understand the process of creating the cam but further study should clarify. I hope!

goldstar31 likes this.
  6. Jan 27, 2019 #6

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thank you Asm109. I just watched the first safety episode on 'thatlazymachinist' website, which was close to 30 minutes long. I also downloaded his lesson plan. Progress for me.

7. Jan 27, 2019 #7

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

You can also try mrpete222 on youtube .

8. Jan 27, 2019 #8

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thank you XD351
    In fact I have several of his books that I have accumulated over the last several years. However, I've never produced any swarf as a result of them. Only prospects!

9. Jan 27, 2019 #9

lvn71

lvn71

lvn71

I live in Hendersonville, NC. Probably a 2 hour drive for you. I am 75, was in the business, and now have a hobby machine shop on the lower level of my house. I have built two of Jerry Howell’s engines and am currently working on his farmboy. I am willing to show you my shop what I do, some of the measuring equipment,cutting tools, machine accessories and maybe answer questions you might have. I also have a fair amount of raw materials left over from different projects.

Glorfindel and goldstar31 like this.
  10. Jan 27, 2019 #10

Mike Henry

Mike Henry

Mike Henry

The 2-volume set of books, "Machine Shop Practice" by Moltrecht are an excellent intro to machining and make good bed-time reading.

11. Jan 27, 2019 #11

TorontoBuilder

TorontoBuilder

TorontoBuilder

John

Hey DCP, I'm right there with you...

My brother was a machinist years ago. I used to do part time work at his employer's shop in the summers like 30 years ago... learned some but not hands on. I use google and youtube... there is tons of content, some of it may be suited to you.

I plan on making some videos of beginners projects "how to set up shop, and build tools that you need for model steam".... and some design. Basically I will teach myself and document my new projects and use my brother as a mentor and resource to ensure I get the machining and measurement/inspection sections right.

Have fun no matter what you do

12. Jan 27, 2019 #12

JOHN DUNCKER

JOHN DUNCKER

JOHN DUNCKER

If you enter Keith Appleton into youtube you will find amongst many fairly advanced projects simply explained there is a series on a beginners first steam engine. He is a keyboard musician by trade and a self taught model engineer.

His video clips are short educational easy to understand and I for one find him entertaining.

TorontoBuilder likes this.
  13. Jan 28, 2019 #13

Swordmaker15

Swordmaker15

Swordmaker15

I went to school for machining but I've learned so much from youtube. My favorites are tubalcain (mr. Pete), this old Tony, AVE (lots of colorful language), click spring, ox tools, build something cool, and Joe Pieczynski. There are countless tips and tricks I've learned from all those channels.

14. Jan 28, 2019 #14

DCP

DCP

DCP

15. Jan 28, 2019 #15

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thank you lvn71. I certainly appreciate your generous offer. At some point I would like to visit and pick your brain. I believe I would benefit more from a visit after I learn more basics. I would like to stay in touch.

16. Jan 28, 2019 #16

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thanks TorontoBuilder. It appears that we have similar interests save video production. I look forward to seeing your videos.

17. Jan 28, 2019 #17

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thank you John Duncker. Self taught seems to be my direction so far. Based on the replies to my introduction, it appears as if I will eventually be taught by the community. What a grand situation for me!

18. Jan 28, 2019 #18

DCP

DCP

DCP

Thank you Swordmaker15. I expect I'll need a couple of weeks worth of rainy days to get around to all your recommendations. I will make an effort. I'm too curious not to do it.

19. Jan 28, 2019 #19

Swordmaker15

Swordmaker15

Swordmaker15

No problem. Click spring is my favorite. Just excellent videos.

20. Jan 28, 2019 #20

TorontoBuilder

TorontoBuilder

TorontoBuilder

John

I think I subscribe to all of the above and I'd add Stefan Gotteswinter to the list.

AVE has his patter... it's a Canadian thing we learn as kids playing hockey. He is like the Machinist version of Letterkenny

Hengeveld.gerard likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted