No skills Charlotte, NC, USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCP

Reaction score
At age 72, I've probably been fascinated with machining for at least 60 years. I now have machines but zero experience with using them. Well, I do know how to turn them on! My interests are primarily small IC and steam engines though anything miniature fascinates me. I would appreciate any links to completely basic info, for the totally ignorant, on how to set up and use a lathe and mill .

Why not Google, Gadgetbuilder.com and follow his recommendations not only for his own tooling but follow his recommended web sites.

Obviously there are lots more but John Moran and his recommendations should be more than enough for getting the wheels to turn and cut something.

Enjoy

from Norman - an even more ancient old guy at 88+

Hi,

I guess at 67 I'm a mere youngster compared to a couple of you, but I'm also just getting started as I head into retirement in a few months. I've got plenty of high falootin' ideas on what I'd like to do, but like DCP, I think it's best to get past the "turn them on" stage. Actually, I'm at the "researching what to buy" stage. Leaning towards Sherline right now, but there seem to be several other choices as well. Prices are up a little bit right now because of the tariff war, so I'm going to wait a couple of months just to see if things return to normal, and figure out if there are better choices than Sherline. Besides, I have to clean up my shop. I primarily have woodworking tools right now, but have always wanted to work with metal. You guys are a great resource, and I look forward to participating more as I get things moving. Thanks. Ron

Why not Google, Gadgetbuilder.com and follow his recommendations not only for his own tooling but follow his recommended web sites.

Obviously there are lots more but John Moran and his recommendations should be more than enough for getting the wheels to turn and cut something.

Enjoy

from Norman - an even more ancient old guy at 88+

Thank you Norman. I studied his tail stock cam lock project this evening. I'm don't clearly understand the process of creating the cam but further study should clarify. I hope!

I live in Hendersonville, NC. Probably a 2 hour drive for you. I am 75, was in the business, and now have a hobby machine shop on the lower level of my house. I have built two of Jerry Howell’s engines and am currently working on his farmboy. I am willing to show you my shop what I do, some of the measuring equipment,cutting tools, machine accessories and maybe answer questions you might have. I also have a fair amount of raw materials left over from different projects.

The 2-volume set of books, "Machine Shop Practice" by Moltrecht are an excellent intro to machining and make good bed-time reading.

At age 72, I've probably been fascinated with machining for at least 60 years. I now have machines but zero experience with using them. Well, I do know how to turn them on! My interests are primarily small IC and steam engines though anything miniature fascinates me. I would appreciate any links to completely basic info, for the totally ignorant, on how to set up and use a lathe and mill .

Hey DCP, I'm right there with you...

My brother was a machinist years ago. I used to do part time work at his employer's shop in the summers like 30 years ago... learned some but not hands on. I use google and youtube... there is tons of content, some of it may be suited to you.

I plan on making some videos of beginners projects "how to set up shop, and build tools that you need for model steam".... and some design. Basically I will teach myself and document my new projects and use my brother as a mentor and resource to ensure I get the machining and measurement/inspection sections right.

Have fun no matter what you do

If you enter Keith Appleton into youtube you will find amongst many fairly advanced projects simply explained there is a series on a beginners first steam engine. He is a keyboard musician by trade and a self taught model engineer.

His video clips are short educational easy to understand and I for one find him entertaining.

I went to school for machining but I've learned so much from youtube. My favorites are tubalcain (mr. Pete), this old Tony, AVE (lots of colorful language), click spring, ox tools, build something cool, and Joe Pieczynski. There are countless tips and tricks I've learned from all those channels.

The 2-volume set of books, "Machine Shop Practice" by Moltrecht are an excellent intro to machining and make good bed-time reading.[/QUOTE

Thank you Mike Henry. I have both of those books on the shelf. I've read intermittently in each of them. Even though both seem to be considerably above my current 'pay grade', the processes were interesting.

I live in Hendersonville, NC. Probably a 2 hour drive for you. I am 75, was in the business, and now have a hobby machine shop on the lower level of my house. I have built two of Jerry Howell’s engines and am currently working on his farmboy. I am willing to show you my shop what I do, some of the measuring equipment,cutting tools, machine accessories and maybe answer questions you might have. I also have a fair amount of raw materials left over from different projects.

Thank you lvn71. I certainly appreciate your generous offer. At some point I would like to visit and pick your brain. I believe I would benefit more from a visit after I learn more basics. I would like to stay in touch.

Hey DCP, I'm right there with you...

My brother was a machinist years ago. I used to do part time work at his employer's shop in the summers like 30 years ago... learned some but not hands on. I use google and youtube... there is tons of content, some of it may be suited to you.

I plan on making some videos of beginners projects "how to set up shop, and build tools that you need for model steam".... and some design. Basically I will teach myself and document my new projects and use my brother as a mentor and resource to ensure I get the machining and measurement/inspection sections right.

Have fun no matter what you do

Thanks TorontoBuilder. It appears that we have similar interests save video production. I look forward to seeing your videos.

If you enter Keith Appleton into youtube you will find amongst many fairly advanced projects simply explained there is a series on a beginners first steam engine. He is a keyboard musician by trade and a self taught model engineer.

His video clips are short educational easy to understand and I for one find him entertaining.

Thank you John Duncker. Self taught seems to be my direction so far. Based on the replies to my introduction, it appears as if I will eventually be taught by the community. What a grand situation for me!

I went to school for machining but I've learned so much from youtube. My favorites are tubalcain (mr. Pete), this old Tony, AVE (lots of colorful language), click spring, ox tools, build something cool, and Joe Pieczynski. There are countless tips and tricks I've learned from all those channels.

Thank you Swordmaker15. I expect I'll need a couple of weeks worth of rainy days to get around to all your recommendations. I will make an effort. I'm too curious not to do it.

Thank you Swordmaker15. I expect I'll need a couple of weeks worth of rainy days to get around to all your recommendations. I will make an effort. I'm too curious not to do it.
No problem. Click spring is my favorite. Just excellent videos.

I think I subscribe to all of the above and I'd add Stefan Gotteswinter to the list.

AVE has his patter... it's a Canadian thing we learn as kids playing hockey. He is like the Machinist version of Letterkenny

Latest posts

Back