Niels abildgaard diamond tool review

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Niels kindly sent me one of his diamond tools for my new mini lathe
his only request was to use it and do a review,and also send a donation
to our local RSPCA.We are both dog lovers and all animal lovers
The tool he sent is sized for the 7 mini lathe but i decided to do minor mods
to enable it to be used on the sc4 lathe as well.The following photos show
my first tests on both lathes.The tool worked well but i feel can be improved further.Niels emphasised,high speed ,deep cuts and BLUE chips.However the
mini lathe i felt would let us down,power and rigidity wise and so it proved
The tool overhang can be reduced to prevent machine flex which i will look at
The 2 mm carbide is good for light work with cuts up to 30 thou on power feed
and is ideal for the small lathe.
The tool worked better in the larger lathe but depth of cut is restricted to about 80 thou (The width of the 2mm carbide ) and with a 60 thou cut and fast speed of about 800rpm i could get straw chips. With this lathe i did not any reason to
increase the workrate anymore for an 8" lathe and model engineering
I think that the depth of cut and speed can be increased and blue chips produced,BUT WOULD RECOMMEND increasing the carbide to 3mm sq
I will play about with this tool some more but my general impressions are good.It is ideal as is for lighter work in the 7" lathe and for heavier work
in the 8" lathe. Thank you Niels i will keep this thread open. Regards barry

Hello Barry and thank You for a very pleasant morning read.
It is clear that it will be next to impossible to make a buisness of manufacturing holders to different users and lathes.
Luckily the holders are a 5-6 hour job and not difficult.
I think my role can be grinding the quer shape carbide made from
best german 2 and 3mm square and sending.
I pay around 10£ and will ask 20£ for a 65mm long piece.

Let us play a small game:

Barry thinks 3mm modified square will be his favourite and Niels do not offer a free holder for that from Denmark.
Barry makes a wood or aluminium mock up of holder with a broken 4.2mm twist drill simulating the carbide to come from Denmark.
Barry order carbide from me and machine holder body to level shown

http://i.imgur.com/2BGHOot.jpg.

Is this a realistic model for other lathe owners as well?

Thank you for your thoughts Niels.You have done more than enough free of charge and i cannot expect anything more.If i cant find commercially available
3mm sq carbide i will attempt to grind down a 6mm dia broken end mill and
make a holder to suit your design.I can then play about and post the results
What would be the cost of posting some 3mm sq carbide.Does it only come in 65mm lengths.Depending on the lathe 40 or 50mm will be better.Is the carbide
specially ground almost sq or will square suffice.Grinding the carbide at an angle produces the diamond cross section to give front and side rake.
As i said the 2mm carbide limits the depth of cut to less than 80 thou which is too much for the mini lathe.Would be good for a backgeared Myford or
larger lathe but for heavier cuts and blue chips you need to go bigger on the carbide.Grinding on a cheap diamond wheel as i showed is easy and does not need a grinding jig.If i keep on playing about and you try a larger carbide then
maybe we can go places.The basic fixing of the carbide in the tool body is
great its just the body that needs to vary to suit the lathe. Regards barry

I have drawn 3 possible 3mm edge solutions.
They are all tilted 12 degree in the plane from NW to SE and flattop.
The SW is an unmodified 3 square and has .6 degree clearance on both flanks to a 90 degree corner.
The mid one is modified by Niels and has around 3.5 degree clearance on both cutting edges and this can obviously also be possible by taking a 4 mm round and grind as shown NE.
With my old eyes 0.6 degree is to small to see in a narrow corner.
A 330mm long 4mm dia best german Carbide can be had for 12£ but is not easy to send to Australia

3 squmod comparison.jpg

Good morning. I have written before but the tangential tool in turning is so old that its origins are lost. We know that it existed in the East in the many pillars that were either turned in stone or perhaps brass in the time of Solomon. What's that - 4000 years ago?
It re-emerges at the time of Maudsley when it was nigh impossible to hold a la\the tool steady enough to bore a steam cylinder that didn't need the use of the foreman's felt hat as packing for the piston. Frankly, it all 'Old Hat!'

Like so many others, I have a graver which is a hangover from those days in metal work but it still exists in wood turning.

Probably- I say probably, Tom Walshaw writing as Tubal Cain re-invented it. I know that Baz has a copy and so do I but it aint new!

Where the problem lies is the determination of the angle which obviously must vary with the diameter of the workpiece but is fixed and the angle must be a compromise. In earlier days and for those who can use a graver, it is a matter of 'feel'- which comes with experience like a lot of other things.

Today, we have almost ready made tooling and regardless of shape or size or material, it is no longer necessary to find a little ginger headed boy to urinate on a red hot cutting blade or stick it in your least favourite slave's abdomen.

Hint, I was never ginger haired but I did contribute to the fund of quenching materials!

Cheers

N

!'

Here are some videos for useless old men having nothing better to do.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPRke1Svs8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Squ7h5XtFj8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeFLeNPhqDY[/ame]

Latest posts

Back