Acute table and Diamond tool holders

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a package from Australia a couple of weeks ago. So I will attend to this before I continue with the Farm Boy project. It's a small side job and I want to put it to work.
We are talking about "Diamond Tool holders" and the "Acute Tool Sharpening System" from Eccentric Engineering.
Both probably over priced, but I hold my nose and pulled the plastic...
Being a novice at the lathe I can just tell you what I observe. I bought them because the description sounds plausible, and it is. They (I have one right and one left) are cutting very nice. The best I have tried so far and I have a bunch other types. They make a very smooth finish and doesn't complain on heavy cuts. Very easy to sharpen. Only one angle to grind. I'll say it's a very high quality item. The drawback is it doesn't brake the chips and makes terrible long strings of metal.
The Acute table came as a pre machined kit. Some parts done, some half done and some just the material. The most tedious work was done, so it's probably easy to build. If I had relaxed just a bit before I ordered it I would gone for just the drawings. They are excellent and the material needed is not much. These parts are not critically fitted and should be a good exercise for newcomers. You will find both building videos and instruction videos on YouTube.
Just started today. I will keep you updated.
Rudy

2018-01-08 20.50.45.jpg

2018-01-08 20.14.24.jpg

That appears to be a very neat concept. I might try making one. It appears to be very good for cutting threads too.

I'm interested as Barry( Bazmak) documented the construction of the grinder and only hours ago, further commented that his version is not performing as it should.
So I must apologize by adding that -------I also have a kit and also the setting jigs and the ER16 collet holders and tucked away- somewhere are a set of collets.

At the moment, I am still awaiting delivery of 'the rather more expensive' Vertex one from RDG in England.

However, the majority of the Acute grinder seems to be easily made from 4mm sheet- if some parts are 'stuck together;'

I've now recorded part of my interest.

Norm

I watched a Youtube vid on this device. I'm sure it does what it says but I doubt you'll find a journeyman using it. Better to learn (thru experience) how to grind your tools without it.
My .02
Russ

At the moment, I am still awaiting delivery of 'the rather more expensive' Vertex one from RDG in England.

Norm

Just an odd comment or three.

Grinder arrived, found that the manual wasn't fit to be called 'junk' but the Deckel ones seem fine for single lips cutters but have little info of what I intend it for.

Then there was a struggle to write Portugese but my Catalan isn't too bad as it is
somewhere between French and Castillian.

My almost forgotten French suggest the expression 'usinages' and there was a long long epistle about modifications and I found that some perspiring contributor had-- converted his clone into a rather robust Quorn with twin bars instead of the more common single one.
'Usinages' is a very useful word. You may enjoy a la Difference

Regards

N

Hi Rudy,
I brought my Tangential tools a couple of years ago, also got the parting tool, all work as they say. The parting tool make parting almost a pleasure rather than the butt clutching it was!
I also brought the Acute a couple of months back, I’ve finished the build...nothing too stress full, just got to bolt it all down & it’s all go! It should make getting the correct angles a doodle!

Cheers Kerrin

Kerrin, I actually also bought some of those parting off blades. I have always (since I got my lathe last year) wondered how to part off without chatter or other nasty behavior from my HSS blade and carbide part off tools. However, tried the blade from Eccentric yesterday and it cut like any other turning tool.
I also have worked a bit more with the Diamond Tool holders. Cuts beautifully but they are like steel wire production tools. If you don't back off regularly you end up with a nest of wire that can cause problems, so you have to do just that, hold on to the feed and let the chip/wire cut before you proceed.
Have got a grinder and wheel for the table so I will proceed and finish the table.

Rudy

Latest posts

Back