Next Cedge Build to begin soon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
Now that things are warming a bit, I'm anticipating migrating back into the shop and getting started again. I've not been totally idle during the cold season. The 3D rendering shown below is the result of many hours studying photos, modeling things out in 3D and putting together a few guiding CoC sketches. I hope to begin torturing some fresh metal this week.

The engine is modeled after the style of a real steam engine, but will not be a perfectly exact reproduction. It is an in line two cylinder compound design using 8 poppet type valves. These give the little machine lots of movement to watch when it's running. It has a sister design which is a single cylinder version, which I hope to also complete as this project goes along. I just hope that making 12 of each part doesn't become mind numbing enough to put me off the idea.

With a bit of luck, maybe I can squeeze in a bit more work this season.

Steve

multivalve-concept.jpg

OOOOHH I like that!

What is the prototype?.....do pray tell!

Dave

Jason
thanks for the links. I've spent many an hour there looking at the details of his builds. The valves have been a bit of a bear to decipher, but I think I finally came up with a working design.

Steamer....
Prototype? I'm afraid you lost me there....LOL. The picture is only a virtual 3D image that I've cobbled together to let me visualize how this thing will have to go together. It isn't complete to the last detail, but it allowed me to sort it out in my head.

Kvom...
Quite similar, but it predates the internal combustion version by a good number of years. The Snow machine always amazes me not only in its design and size but in the fact that the inventor was able to convert the design from steam to IC. The steam versions tended to be a lot smaller than the Snow.

Steve

WOW!! If you follow that color scheme using polished brass, it is going to be a real looker, especially with all the moving parts.

Looking forward to watching this build.

Steve,
That's an impressive engine with as you say "plenty of monkey motion". This will be an interesting WIP to follow. Good luck with it

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the moral support, all of you. This one should have a lot of head scratching along the way. This week is supposed to warm up nicely, so I hope I can begin the cylinders over the next few days.

I experimented with some unusual "brass" last evening and the jury is still out on whether I'll try to use it or not. It is a white brass allow, possibly silver bronze or perhaps aluminum bronze. It's some very nasty stuff to turn, but it tarnishes to a beautiful golden wheat color. The tandem engine will be made from normal 360 brass, but I'm really tempted to fight the nasty characteristics for a single cylinder version made of the white metal.

Steve

Steve,
Would you enlighten me on the use of poppet valves? They don't seem to be common in the steam engine world in my limited experience. Were they a later addition just before steam went to IC? Thanks

Phil

Steve

Given that I'm halfway through the IC version (the Snow) I'm really interested to see where you go with this one! When I called over the Mrs to look at your rendering, the traitor said it looks better than mine :big:

Cheers, Joe

Phil
I'm not sure of the time line on the steam use of poppet valves, but they are much like automotive engine valves. The valve seals against a seat and is opened by a cam and closed by spring action. While slide valve engines are better known and more widely used, apparently the poppet system wasn't all that rare in Europe. The slide valve was almost certainly easier to make and maintain since it took one valve body instead of 4 per cylinder, plus a gear driven cam train.

Joe...
Obviously a woman of highly refined tastes....(grin) Hang on to her. I might be knocking on your virtual door when I get hung up on the valves....LOL I'd really like to see a bit more detail on the assemblies before I begin adapting my own ideas to them.

Steve

Cedge,

The engine of course, is a beauty. As someone who has many years experience in vector-based graphic illustration I find your rendering stunning. Did you design the base? Incredible.

I'll be following closely even though that skill level is still way beyond my field of vision.

-Trout

That's going to be a beauty, Steve. Should be a great build!

Dean

I've got my Magic PDF Maker dusted off and ready to go. That is a gorgeous concept. I am truly looking forward to documenting this one. What a learning opportunity this will be for me. (and I'll bet others) Thanks!

Ed

This one's gonna be a dandy Cedge...looking forward to following along.

Bill

Steve, somehow I missed the initial part of this thread. All I can say is wow! That's going to be one terrific looking engine.
I have always had a great interest in steam engines. When I built my model sternwheel riverboat I studied the engines that were used in them. A lot of them used a poppet valve type system. The only thing I would consider is the flow direction of the steam/air. By that I mean it would be better to have the pressure side on the head of the valve and not the stem side. That way the pressure would tend to hold the valve closed as opposed to trying to hold the valve open.
I can't wait to see this engine come to life.
George

George
That has been a mental debate since I began considering the project. I've watched videos of the valve action and it appears both were employed. Some show the valve being depressed while others appear to lift it. I'm thinking the pressure in the incoming line would be less than the expansion inside the cylinders, but it's still a bit fuzzy.

Help me out here.....LOL

Kvom,
I'm shooting for something around 12 inches and hopefully no more than 14.

Steve

Great solid modeling! Looks like it's going to be a cool build as well.

Chris

Latest posts

Back