Next Cedge Build to begin soon

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful image, what software do you use for modeling/rendering?

IronHorse

Thanks Chris & Ironhorse. I'm just hoping it turns out somewhere close to the image.

The software....
It's an antique from about 1996 called "Web 3D". If the company, "Asymetrix", had only known what they had back then, they could have strangled most of today's big name 3D software companies in their cribs. Unfortunately, they never figured it out and discontinued development to go broke producing lesson plans for elementary education. The last guy to buy the rights to distribute it paid them $25000 and then also went broke while trying to figure out what to do with it.

The process is called "Ray Tracing" and is still an active art in one form or another, usually via hand written text format. The most active place these days seems to be at www.povray.org . My little antique was one of the few programs to allow ray traced images using a user friendly interface to do the heavy number crunching, while letting me drag and drop most features.

If you happen to visit, keep in mind these guys write the code for their images by hand.... some real life brainiacs hang out there.

Steve

That is some great solid modeling history. I teach CAD and have been for 4 years now and always start off by giving my students some history in CAD and drafting. I'm going to have to check that site out.

Once again...great model.

Chris

Latest posts

Back