Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brickie

Reaction score
hi im new to the forum and have a few enquiries, i am looking at buying a sieg co baby lathe for making mainly fishing floats out of balsa dowel and some small metal pieces, i have seen some unimat sl lathes for sale on ebay at around the same price but am a bit worried about buying a 50 year old lathe and getting parts etc, i live in the uk and have no experience with lathes but do use other power tools regularly in my job so not tot totally inept!! ;D so what are your thoughts on the above lathes thanks.

Brickie: Welcome to the board. I think if i had a choice between a unimat SL and A Seig 0, I would go for the unimat. If you are worried about availability of spares you may want to look into a Taig or Sherline. These are both good machines in current production.
Tin

thanks mate i was begining to feel like a leper on this site ;D

thanks again to all who replied also can you recomend a good cheap lube oil for turning mainly mild steel.

the recommended cutting fluid for steel is sulpherised oil. it is typically used by plumbers for cutting threads on pipe I picked up some on close out at home depot in pints you should be able to find it by the quart at the local plumbing supply.
Tin

Brickie,

Don't quite know why I missed your first post but miss it I did - sorry.

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back